Electronics Technical Engineer for Converter Controls (TE-EPC-CCE-2020-72-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
Are you an electronics technical engineer, with skills and experience in prototyping, development and design for test? Have you used computer-aided design to integrate electronics with mechanics? Take Part!
You will join:
- The Electrical Power Converter Group (TE-EPC) of the Technology Department (TE), responsible for several thousand power systems found throughout CERN’s accelerator complex.
- The Converter Controls Electronics Section (TE-EPC-CCE), which designs and realises the electronic control systems for CERN’s power converters.
- A short video giving of the group and role within CERN is here https://videos.cern.ch/record/2688929 more information about the department is here http://te-dep.web.cern.ch/
As an electronics Technical Engineer, you will work in collaboration with colleagues in a dynamic team environment to design, prototype and validate electronic boards and electronic control systems used in power converter controls.
The design and prototype function will comprise creating electronic schematics, designing electronic boards, and manufacturing these using both rapid prototyping and conventional techniques. Performing and documenting testing of digital and analogue circuits is an integral part of the design process.
The validation function will include the design and realisation of automated test equipment, such as bed-of-nails fixtures and interfacing electronics. The role also requires the maintenance of the test equipment, composed of PXI systems currently running windows, teststand, and python software. We also maintain a hardware-in-the-loop platform to complement tests on complete power systems to which you will actively participate.
Your functions will be to:
- Design and prototype digital and analogue electronics used in common control electronics platforms, along with mechanical integrations for electronic chassis.
- Participate in the design, construction and operation of automated test equipment for electronic circuit boards and entire electronic systems.
- Participate in the validation of programmable logic code and hardware releases across platforms.
- Document electronic boards to improve maintenance and user experience.
- Perform test, commissioning and operation of controls electronics, working with others to solve problems, taking part in the on-call service for converter controls.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electronics, or a related field.
The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience in the design and prototyping of digital and simple analogue circuits.
- Proven experience in the use of computer aided design tools for mechanical integration.
- Demonstrated experience in designing electronics for test.
- Demonstrated experience in testing electronics, in the laboratory and/or in the field.
- Some experience with controls networks, such as Ethernet would be an advantage.
- Some experience with commissioning / hand-over of systems would be an advantage.
- Design and simulation of digital electronic circuits.
- Testing and measurement of digital electronic circuits.
- Assembly of electronic components: crates and racks.
- Knowledge of communication technologies and protocols: such as Ethernet. and the related infrastructure would be an advantage.
- Working in Teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities Building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Communicating Effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Solving Problems: finding the information needed to solve problems; making objective judgments based on all the facts available Producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements.
- Achieving Results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations Having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language or the undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 28.06.2020
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: TE-EPC-CCE-2020-72-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electronics Technical Engineer