Mechanical Engineer (EP-ADO-PO-2020-64-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
Are you an experienced mechanical engineer with a passion for challenging engineering project? As part of the ATLAS Technical Coordination team, seize this unique opportunity to contribute to one of the largest particle physics experiments in the world, while using your skills to meet the demanding performance and efficiency requirements. CERN, take part!
Within the Physics Department (EP) which encompasses the experimental particle physics activities in the Organization, you will join the ATLAS Project Office (PO), a section of the CERN ATLAS Team (http://atlas.ch/). This team is in charge of operating, maintaining and upgrading the mechanical infrastructure of the ATLAS experiment and detectors.
As a member of an Engineering team of up to 15 people, your functions will include:
- Coordinate the engineering activities during the development of new projects in relation with the ATLAS detector upgrade. These projects will be of a wide variety, including:
- Design detector support structures, including maintaining and extending infrastructures, designing installation and lifting tooling;
- Definition of the functional specifications in close collaboration with the various stakeholders of the project;
- Follow-up of industrial contracts during the production phase;
- Steering and following-up of the designers and technicians involved in the project;
- Definition of the adequate FEA models to develop and assure the good interpretation of the result according to standards and construction code;
- Definition of the installation schedule and follow-up;
- Oversee the fabrication and assembly related activities;
- Reporting regularly to the ATLAS collaboration.
2- Participate in the overall integration activities for the detector and infrastructure:
- Define the envelope of new systems and issuing the associated drawings and reference document;
- Control the respect of the envelope during the construction of detectors;
- Allocate space for future needs.
3- Take responsibility in the management of the CAD organization structure for the ATLAS detector:
- Maintain and develop the CAD organization structure and related PLM, ensuring that all finalized studies are well linked to the structure;
- Manage the equipment codes and their correct usage within the ATLAS design office.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Mechanical Engineering or a related field.
- Proven experience in design, construction and assembly of large mechanical installations.
- Experience in project management, including planning, procurement and technical supervision of technical personnel.
The following experience would be an advantage:
- Experience in performing a variety of engineering tasks as well as working on various projects in parallel.
- Experience in working in an international and multi-disciplinary team.
- Integration of mechanical systems.
- Design and analysis of mechanical structures.
- Organisation, planning and control: including supervision of work.
- Production of 2D drawings and 3D models: iSO dimensioning and tolerancing, knowledge of CATIA V5 or equivalent.
- Design and construction of lifting and handling equipment.
- Assembly and integration of infrastructure for detectors or experimental facilities.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them anticipating obstacles; assessing alternative solutions in order to have a fall-back plan Producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements.
- Demonstrating accountability: presenting information accurately and objectively; taking responsibility for own actions and decisions.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities; sharing and letting others participate in own work/project; encouraging team development; building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Demonstrating flexibility: being willing to work on different projects simultaneously.
Spoken and written English: ability to understand and speak in professional contexts, as well as the ability to draft texts for publications and/or official communications and to make oral presentations.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 11.06.2020.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: EP-ADO-PO-2020-64-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Engineer