Electrical Engineer (EN-EL-DDO-2020-63-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
The Engineering Department (EN) pushes back the limits of technology so that physicists can carry out their research. Within the Electrical Engineering (EL) group of the EN department, you will join the section of the Design and Documentation Office (DDO), which is responsible for delivering electrical designs for the group, as well as the database and documentation management of the continuously evolving transmission and distribution networks.
Are you an experienced electrical engineer, specialized in delivering electrical designs related to AC and DC distribution systems, lighting studies, earthing studies and accustomed to producing cabling schedules? Then your skills could contribute to the operation, maintenance, consolidation and extension of the complex electrical transmission and distribution network of CERN, dedicated to a unique laboratory hosting some of the world’s most complex technical installations. Join CERN’s Electrical Engineering team. Take part!
As an Electrical Engineer in the Design and Documentation Office (DDO) Section, you will work on activities related to high and low voltage electrical designs whilst progressively adhering to industry standards.
- Be the lead designer for large electrical design projects;
- Be responsible for the electrical design of ;
- Low voltage distribution networks;
- Lighting systems for buildings and external areas;
- Earthing networks for new buildings;
- DC distribution systems
- Be responsible for the creation of
- Design drawings and updating existing drawings using AutoCAD or equivalent software;
- Cabling schedules and installation drawings;
- Update equipment information into CERNs asset management databases.
- Verify that designs are fully compliant with safety rules, quality requirements and general CERN requirements;
- Be responsible for the management of the CERN high voltage network model;
- Provide a permanent support to the section by updating and improving quality standards.
- Supervise technical personnel supporting all the above activities.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Electrical Engineering or Electricity or a related field.
- Extensive experience in a lead design role on large electrical projects;
- Extensive industrial experience in the field of electrical design and LV distribution;
- Experience with supervision of teams would be an asset.
- Design and modelling of high-voltage electrical circuits and networks: (in particular electrical distribution equipment like switchgear, switchboards, protection relays, transformers, UPS systems, battery chargers and inverters).
- Design and modelling of low-voltage electrical circuits and networks
- Project management
- Excellent knowledge of software packages like Powerfactory, AutoCAD, Dialux and Eleccalc design software (or similar SW packages)
- Managing Self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting Taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen
- Solving Problems: assimilating large quantities of information, identifying key issues and formulating conclusions clearly and concisely. Identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them
- Achieving Results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations
- Working in Teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships
- Communicating Effectively: listening actively to others and letting others speak
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak at least one of the two languages in professional contexts.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 04.06.2020.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: EN-EL-DDO-2020-63-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electronics Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further