Network and Telecom Deployment Technician (IT-CS-DO-2020-48-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
Come and participate in the deployment of one of Europe’s most complex data and telecommunications network by responding to the needs of CERN users. Join the IT department and put your skills to work! CERN, take part!
You will join:
- The Communication Systems (CS) Group, which is responsible for all aspects of network provision at CERN. It supports a campus network (cabled and Wi-Fi) with over 20,000 active devices, a 5Tb/s non-blocking switching fabric for a data centre with over 10,000 servers, more than 4,000 of which with 10Gb/s interfaces, and external connections including multiple trans-border 100Gb/s circuits.
- The Deployment and Operations (DO) section, which is responsible for the installation and operation of data networking solutions (high performance, campus and industrial controls) as well as telecom systems (fixed and mobile telephony, TETRA, IoT) at CERN.
More information on the IT Department can be found at: http://cern.ch/it.
As a Network and Telecom Deployment Technician in the IT/CS/DO section, you will be responsible for installing and operating networking and telecom services for various user groups at CERN. As an autonomous and active member of the team, you will work in collaboration with engineers and other specialist technicians, taking on, most notably, the following functions:
- Interpreting user needs: proposing and implementing suitable solutions in line with CERN standards.
- Planning, coordinating and supervising sub-contracted cabling work; assuring that operational and safety procedures are respected.
- Installing and configuring diverse communications systems (routers, switches, mobile telephone repeaters) using CERN tools.
- Documenting implemented solutions; participating in the streamlining of operational procedures.
- Taking part in the support chain for communication problems.
Technical certificate or general secondary education in the field of computing, networking, telecoms or a related field.
- Extensive experience in the installation and configuration of network and/or telecom systems.
- Experience in the utilisation of information systems, such as database interfaces.
- Initial experience in coordination with external providers and subcontractors.
- Operation and maintenance of networks: systems installation/decommissioning: following established procedures in line with the agreed standards in the installation, testing, or decommissioning of cabling and hardware.
- User relationship management: communicating services and delivering activities to one or more client groups; ensuring that they gain maximum benefit from the services support.
- Capturing and analysis of requirements for ICT systems: specifying and interpreting customer requirements to a level that enables effective delivery of network infrastructure and cabling.
- Design of networks: designing or selecting components to meet defined needs; conforming to corporate standards within constraints of cost, security, and sustainability.
- Organisation, planning and control: planning and supervising subcontracted cabling work; coordinating with other services present at the deployment site.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; demonstrating a receptive approach to feedback; being open to criticism and reconsidering position accordingly.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; producing comprehensive work / project plans taking into account resources and contingencies.
- Building relationships: being able to put self in the shoes of others in order to understand their needs and interests; relating well to all people regardless of category/level within the Organization.
- Demonstrating flexibility: readily accepting new tasks or work/projects; being able to demonstrate flexibility whilst abiding by all applicable rules.
- Working in Teams: cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals. Sharing and letting others participate in own work/project; encouraging team development
- Solving Problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw up technical texts in one of the two languages, as well as the ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 08.04.2020
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: IT-CS-DO-2020-48-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Technician
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further