Control Engineer (EN-CV-CL-2020-51-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
Are you a qualified and proactive control & automation engineer, willing to contribute to a unique working environment at the heart of one of the world's most complex and exciting scientific experiments? Then, this opportunity is for you. Join the largest particle physics research laboratory in the world. CERN, take part!
The Engineering Department (EN) pushes back the limits of technology so that physicists can carry out their research.
Within the cooling and ventilation (CV) group of the EN department, you will join the Control Section (CL), which is in charge of the design, development, commissioning and support of control systems for cooling & ventilation installations.
As Engineer in the Controls Section, you will take the lead for the specification, design, implementation and support of industrial control systems for cooling and ventilation plants.
- Define the requirements for CV control systems:
- Collecting the requirements from project leaders and operators;
- Defining or selecting appropriate HVAC control solutions.
- Design and manage the development of these industrial control systems:
- Liaising with the CERN developers of the control systems;
- Supervising and managing external contractors implementing CV control systems;
- Developing parts or totality of the control systems PLC and SCADA code.
- Manage and participate to the commissioning (Virtual and on site):
- Defining the appropriate test strategy;
- Planning the commissioning;
- Supervising and participating to the tests with simulators or in situ.
- Supervise and follow-up, in support of the team in charge of operation, control systems in order to:
- Transfer the technical expertise on the new control systems to operators;
- Troubleshooting or improving existing plants controls:
- Establishment of KPIs to evaluate the performance of the CV plant itself, and define the appropriate control strategies to minimise energy consumption.
- Write technical documents, reports and notes.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of control, automation engineering or a related field.
- Extensive experience in requirements engineering and in design and implementation of controls with Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC).
- Experience in definition of tests catalogues and executions of tests.
- Experience in contract management for industrial installations.
- Experience of writing technical documents, reports.
- Initial experience in:
- Supervision Control And Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems.
- Control theory.
- Low voltage electrical systems.
- Instrumentation and fieldbuses.
- Cooling, ventilation or compressed air plants is an asset.
- Functional analysis of control systems: design of process control functional analysis / requirement analysis.
- Configuration and implementation of industrial data-acquisition, monitoring and control systems: management and configuration of data acquisition and test systems.
- Installation, operation and maintenance of industrial data-acquisition, monitoring and control systems: installation, maintenance & operation of control systems.
- Configuration and programming of PLC and fieldbus system / programming of PLCs.
- Configuration, programming and use of Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind; delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Communicating effectively: providing others with timely information; ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; adopting a pragmatic approach; understanding the value of adopting generic rather than 'gold -plated' technical solutions.
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw up technical specifications and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages and an undertaking to acquire the other rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 03.05.2020.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: EN-CV-CL-2020-51-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Engineer