Full Stack Software Engineer (EN-ACE-PLM-2020-44-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
Are you an experienced full-stack developer looking to provide an integrated engineering platform managing some of the world’s most complex equipment used by thousands of engineers and technicians? Are you interested in a career in an exciting international environment at the forefront of modern science? Then join an ambitious and dynamic team of engineers and IT professionals, take part!
CERN provides and supports software solutions for the engineering community. We develop and maintain CERN's Product Lifecycle Management systems (PLM) to manage design data and technical documentation for the entire Organization. We are now in a challenging project to replace the existing landscape of silo applications by a single modern PLM platform. In addition, we provide software solutions for Enterprise Asset Management as well as multi-CAD system support on a CERN-wide basis. This integrated set of tools contains information about millions of equipment components. In total, over 5000 users depend on the software provided by the group.
As a software engineer in the PLM Section, you will be responsible for system related issues in the PLM platform and participate in the development of both web and mobile applications matching expressed user needs.
- Exchange with key-users to formulate application requirements, develop design specifications, high-level data and process models, and provide test- and user- documentation as well as 3rd line support.
- Design and implement rich, interactive and responsive web applications for PLM related tasks, as well as tools and methodology for data exchange between applications.
- Take responsibility for system monitoring and general system management including configuration, deploying upgrades and patches.
- Play an active role in the common and continuous effort of improving both the services and tools provided.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of software engineering or a related field.
- Developed and maintained large software projects using the Java Enterprise Edition or .NET stack, specifically in the domain of modern web applications using relational databases and integration via web services.
- Experience in business analysis.
- Provided user support and build user relations.
- Experience with systems operation, configuration and troubleshooting.
The following experience would be an asset:
- Development or in-depth knowledge of a major PLM platform (e.g. Dassault 3DExperience, PTC Windchill…).
- Data Warehouse /Business Intelligence /Reporting.
- Machine Learning.
- Agile and DevOps practices.
- Scripting languages
- Virtual Reality Platform (Unity).
- Development of application software
- Conceptualising, designing and developing user experiences and interfaces: React (or similar), HTML5, CSS
- Knowledge and application of software life-cycle tools and procedures:Git, Maven
- Re-use, refactoring, integration and porting of existing software
- Testing, diagnosing and optimization of software
- Working in Teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; Participating fully and taking an active role in team activities; Contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; Addressing issues
- Solving Problems: assimilating large quantities of information, identifying key issues and formulating conclusions clearly and concisely
- Achieving Results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; Delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs
- Managing Self: working well autonomously; Taking on activities and tasks without prompting; Taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen
Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages. Ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 19.04.2020.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: EN-ACE-PLM-2020-44-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further