Electronics Technician (TE-MPE-EM-2020-15-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
Joining the Technology Department, you will work in the MPE group responsible for the centralized services for CERN’s electronics community for the layout design, prototype board assembly, industrialization and production of electronic boards and modules.
You will take part in the procurement of custom made electronics for the systems across the CERN accelerator complex and its detectors. The electronic boards are designed to very high standards and must be proven to operate with the required high levels of reliability and availability. Take Part!
As an Electronics Technician with experience in assembly of electronic modules, you will be in charge of the manufacturing and assembly of electronic boards and modules.
Your main activities will consist of:
- Assembly of SMD/THT electronic boards applying established assembly procedures and related quality assurance documents.
- Operation and programming of assembly machines in the assembly workshop.
- High precision manual work on assembly of physics detectors.
- Providing technical feedback to the design office on manufacturing and assembly processes and encountered issues.
- Seeking new assembly techniques and ways of using new materials/components.
- Being in charge of the first level maintenance of the machines in the assembly workshop, including ordering of machine’s spare components and consumables.
- Addressing technical and quality issues if required.
Technical certificate or general secondary education in the field of electronics, or relevant equivalent experience in this area.
- Demonstrated experience with electronic boards assembly, including manual soldering of THT components and SMD components with the fine pitch up to 0.4 mm.
- Experience with manual repairs of electronic board, including repairs with a BGA rework station.
- Experience with assembly of connectors and cables, including related techniques, tools and acceptance criteria.
- Initial experience with automated SMD assembly processes, including knowledge of programming of assembly machines like the pick-and-place machine and jet printer for solder paste and associated fluxes.
- Assembly of electronic components: includes knowledge of industrial standards in electronics manufacturing processes according to J-STD-001.
- Knowledge and application of quality and reliability assurance techniques in electronics: includes knowledge of handling the moisture sensitivity level components (MSL) according to J-STD-033, standards for assembly of electronic components susceptible to ESD damage according to ANSI/ESD-S-20.20 and visual inspection of the quality of electronic boards according to IPC-A-610.
- Fabrication of electronic circuit boards: includes knowledge of standard electrical measurement techniques and test systems for PCBs and electronic modules. Knowledge of PCB manufacturing processes and IPC-A-600 acceptance criteria would be an advantage.
- Use of office software packages: access, Excel and Word.
- Working in Teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities; understanding when teamwork is required to achieve the best results; including others accordingly and sharing information; cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Achieving Results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Demonstrating Flexibility: demonstrating openness to new ideas and situations; adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements; being willing to work on different projects simultaneously.
- Solving Problems: recognizing what is essential; discriminating between important and peripheral information and being able to see the whole picture; testing solutions for long-term suitability, cross-checking with all concerned before implementation.
- English or French: spoken and written with the ability to draw up technical texts. Basic knowledge of the other language or the undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 29.03.2020.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: TE-MPE-EM-2020-15-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electronics Technician
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further