Electromechanical Technician (TE-MSC-MNC-2019-113-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
Join a great team ensuring the reliable operation and the upgrade of all normal conducting magnets on the CERN site. Take part!
You will join:
The Magnets, Superconductors and Cryostats (MSC) group of the Technology Department (TE) has the mandate to design, construct and measure the superconducting and normal conducting Magnets for the CERN accelerator complex, to integrate them in the CERN accelerator complex, to design and procure the magnet cryostats and to perform the magnet quality control. The group also provides support to the operation of the accelerators for magnets, magnet performance, devices (current leads).
The Normal Conducting Magnets Section (MNC) is responsible for the design, construction, commissioning, maintenance and upgrade of the normal conducting (NC) magnets for present and future CERN accelerators and beamlines.
As an electromechanical technician in the MNC section, you will participate in the operation and maintenance of the about 5000 normal conducting magnets installed in the CERN accelerators complex and experimental areas.
- Participate to the verification, maintenance, and upgrade of operating, spare and new magnets in the CERN workshops, following all aspects related to this activity: planning, logistics, Quality Assurance and Quality Control (test reports, work orders), as well as the supply of materials and components.
- Collaborate with the machine responsible to perform the required work in the CERN accelerators and experimental areas complex during the technical stops and to follow-up all related safety aspects.
Higher technical diploma in the field of electro-mechanics or a related field.
The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience in the construction, operation, and maintenance of electromechanical devices.
- Demonstrated experience in reading mechanical and electrical drawings.
- Relevant experience in fault diagnostic on electrical equipment.
- Experience in precision mechanical measurements.
The following experience would be an advantage:
- Experience in the Computer-Aided Design CAD.
- Experience in the LabView system.
- Construction, test, and installation of electromechanical equipment and systems.
- Use of office software packages.
- Reading and drawing of electrical schematics.
- High Voltage tests, resistance and inductance measurements.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Achieving results: being rigorous and producing quality results at first attempt, driving work/projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion.
- Demonstrating flexibility: readily accepting new tasks or work/projects, adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Communicating effectively: ensuring that information, procedures, and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting.
- Spoken and written English or French: the ability to understand and speak the other language or the undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 12.03.2020
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: TE-MSC-MNC-2019-113-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electromechanical Technician
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further