Data Centre Operations Technician (IT-CF-DCO-2020-5-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
Take an active role in the IT department at CERN as Data Centre Operations’ technician! This is a unique opportunity to work in one of the largest data centres for scientific computing in the Europe. CERN, take part!
CERN operates a large (3.8MW) data centre, and has a project to build another larger (4-12MW) facility underway, where you will be working on supporting CERN’s administrative and scientific computing, including the recording and processing of data from the physics experiments.
More information on IT the Department is at: http://information-technology.web.cern.ch/.
The successful candidate will work as part of the Operations team whose primary responsibility is the planning and coordination of the data centre infrastructure. The main activities are:
- Participation in the infrastructure (electrical, cooling, rack-space, floor-space) capacity planning of the computing rooms.
- Preparation and administration of the commissioning, decommissioning and moves of large batches of IT equipment (servers, storage, network devices) in the computing rooms.
- Supervision of the contractors performing the electrical, mechanical, cabling and equipment handling works.
- Liaison with CERN engineering and technical departments for the infrastructure of the computing rooms.
- Develop and maintain procedures and tools for assuring an up-to-date inventory of deployed assets.
- Provide and maintain procedures related to the data centre operation for 24/7 operators.
- Maintain statistics of performed interventions and used resources and produce reports to management hierarchy.
- Manage access control requests to the computing rooms.
Higher technical diploma in the field of computing or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in the Operations of system or network administration of a large Data Centre.
- Experience with the technical infrastructure of a Data Centre, with organisation and supervision of the work of contractors and with capacity planning.
- Some experience in electrical distribution or in cooling and ventilation or in mechanics would be a strong asset.
- Installation, operation and maintenance (preventive and corrective) of computing systems.
- Knowledge and deployment of computing hardware: in data centres.
- Organisation, planning and control: of data centre infrastructure.
- Use of office software packages: or similar tools.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises; taking responsibility for own actions and decisions.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer; keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information.
- Managing self: taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 23.02.2020
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: IT-CF-DCO-2020-5-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Technician
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further