Machine-tool maintenance technician (EN-MME-MA-2019-116-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
Are you a proactive, collaborative, multi-tasking and flexible maintenance technician? Would you like to work in a technical environment with complex and large-scale installations? Join CERN and put your skills and expertise to the test on some of the world's largest and most complex machines, fabrication and development workshops. Take part and apply your practical and analytical skills to a wide range of technical challenges!
You will join:
- The Engineering Department (EN) that provides engineering competencies, infrastructure systems and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities;
- The Mechanical & Materials Engineering Group (MME) that provides the CERN community with specific engineering solutions combining mechanical design, fabrication and material sciences. The MME group maintains and develops the expertise on the mechanical construction of beam accelerator components and physics detectors. The MME group involves a large spectrum of highly specialized activities, including on-site fabrication facilities and sub-contracting, CAD design and advanced calculations;
- The Machining & Maintenance Section (MA) maintains an extensive range of state-of-the-art CNC/conventional fabrication technologies CERN wide, with a tradition of knowledge and technology developed for particle accelerator applications and dedicated in-house facilities.
As an experienced machine-tool maintenance technician, you will join an existing team of technicians and engineers, contribute with hands-on, practical work, and extend current knowledge and practices;
- Repair, maintain, install and troubleshoot conventional/CNC machine tools and other fabrication equipment (e.g. electron beam welding machines, vacuum furnaces, sheet metal equipment, etc.);
- Troubleshoot mechanical, hydraulics, electronics, software, electrical, pneumatic and control systems;
- Be responsible for the management and organisation of the day-to-day workload for the maintenance team activities, including the planning and resourcing of Planned Preventative Maintenance (PPM) and shutdown maintenance. You will furthermore contribute with the relevant partners to produce effective maintenance strategies, procedures and methods;
- Control and source maintenance tools, equipment and spares including liaison with external contractors. You are responsible to identify and replace parts as necessary, tender and obtain quotations for required interventions and spares;
- Prepare and submit maintenance reports as required and document all maintenance and repairs in daily records (paper and electronic records);
Higher technical diploma in the field of mechanics or a related field.
The experience required for this post is:
- Extensive hands-on work on CNC machine-tool, configuration and maintenance;
- Extensive troubleshooting and problem solving skills of industrial mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic and electrical equipment
- Installation and maintenance work for a machine-tool manufacturer would be advantageous
- Proven experience leading/organizing a team
- Maintenance management: deep knowledge of repairs, maintenance and troubleshooting of conventional and CNC machine tools; excellent electrical and mechanical aptitude
- Assembly of mechanical structures and equipment: practical hands-on approach to maintenance problem solving and ability to work independently and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Maintenance management: ability to read and interpret operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, capability to read part manuals, electrical, hydraulic and mechanical schematics, assembly instructions
- Solving Problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them Anticipating obstacles; assessing alternative solutions in order to have a fall-back plan
- Working in Teams: cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Achieving Results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind
- Optimising Resources: effectively managing budget, optimizing human and financial resources Setting high quality standards for own and team results; striving for excellence and maintaining focus and drive even in the face of difficulty
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw up technical texts in one of the two languages, as well as ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts;
- Spoken and written German or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 31.01.2020.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work in Radiation Areas when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Interventions in underground installations when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: EN-MME-MA-2019-116-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Technician
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further