HVAC Engineer (SMB-SE-HE-2019-101-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
Are you a skilled HVAC Engineer, willing to take an active role in the construction works, the operation and the maintenance associated with equipment and systems of CERN’s tertiary infrastructure? Join CERN and offer your technical expertise to the world’s largest particle physics laboratory. CERN, take part!
You will join the HVAC & Electricity Section (SMB-SE-HE) which is in charge of the design, tendering, work, operation and maintenance phases of HVAC, Electrical and Sanitary installations of the tertiary buildings. You can find further information at http://smb-dep.web.cern.ch/en/Group/SMB-SE-HE.
As an HVAC Engineer, you will:
- Perform feasibility studies and detailed designs of plumbing, ventilation and air conditioning systems including sizing and cost estimates for the proposed solutions.
- Draw up technical specifications and all relevant documents that will be used to adjudicate the workload to external contractors.
- Ensure technical follow-up and coordination of the work of contractors in compliance with contractual clauses and technical standards.
- Contribute to the monitoring and operation of the installations under the responsibility of the Site Engineering (SE) Group (cooling plants, air-conditioning systems, water pumping stations, compressed air, chilled water production units and networks).
- Analyse data and information pertaining to maintenance (via CMM software and by inspections on-site).
- Propose and define the best possible responses to users' requests and, in collaboration with the personnel of the SE Group, determine appropriate technical solutions for construction projects, modifications and renovation works.
- Ensure the respect of safety rules and conditions for all interventions.
- Report periodically on activities, schedules, costs or other issues.
- Ensure that the technical documentation is kept up-to-date and compliant with the quality standards, and provide relevant information to appropriate services accordingly.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of mechanical engineering or related, preferably with a specialization in industrial ventilation and hydraulics installations or equivalent, or a related field.
- Extensive experience in the installation work, the maintenance and operation of heating, cooling and ventilation plants.
- Proven experience in technical coordination of external companies and contractors.
- Previous experience in the technical coordination of the design, tendering, construction, operation and maintenance phases of HVAC/Electrical installations.
- Initial knowledge of low voltage network and electrical boards.
- Experience in the use of CMM tools (Infor EAM) and office software work packages (Microsoft Office).
- Knowledge of control system and process automation would be an asset.
- Experience in electrical power and control installations would be an asset.
- Design and construction of HVAC plants and networks: industrial and tertiary ventilation, cooling water systems, compressed air and industrial fluid distribution.
- Design, analysis and optimization of fluid mechanics systems: including thermal building load calculation.
- Operation and maintenance of HVAC plants and networks.
- Organisation, planning and control: coordination of activities involving different technical fields (electricity, mechanical work, heavy handling, etc.).
- Contract management: would be an asset.
- Knowledge of Swiss or French thermal regulation would be an asset.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind; driving work/projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion being rigorous and producing quality results at first attempt.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting.
- Demonstrating flexibility: readily accepting new tasks or work/projects adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 27.10.2019
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Residence in the immediate vicinity of the Organization's installations.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving license.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: SMB-SE-HE-2019-101-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further