Electronics Technical Engineer (TE-MPE-EP-2019-100-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a passionate Electronics Technical Engineer who would like to participate in the development, manufacturing and tests of electronic equipment pertaining to the quench protection systems for the superconducting magnets of the most complex particle accelerator? Take part!
The Electronics Technical Engineer designs CERN's electronics infrastructure and systems. He/she is also involved in producing, installing, commissioning, operating and maintaining CERN’s electronics infrastructure and systems, notably those required for the accelerator complex.
In the Technology (TE) Department, Machine Protection and Electrical Integrity (MPE) Group, you will take responsibility for the design, procurement, implementation and exploitation of custom-made electronics for the LHC quench protection systems of the superconducting magnet circuits.
- Participate in the commissioning, operation and maintenance of the hardware components of the protection system for the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) superconducting magnet circuits.
- Design and develop custom-made, highly reliable electronics used in safety-critical protection applications for the accelerator superconducting magnet circuits.
- Contribute to the development and commissioning of state-of-the-art automatic test equipment.
- Organise acceptance tests and ensure the effective reception of new electronics.
- Ensure the availability of various protection systems during the (LHC) machine operation.
- Prepare and compile relevant documentation.
- Maintain and keep up-to-date the databases related to the maintenance and operation of the various components.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electronics engineering or a related field.
- Extensive experience in the field of electronics focussing on digital electronics (FPGA, micro-controllers), mixed-signal and embedded systems.
- Previous experience in the testing of electronics and in measurement techniques.
- Experience in electronic design automation, circuit schematics and PCB design.
- Initial experience in the commissioning and operation of complex industrial and/or scientific electronic systems.
- Knowledge of programming languages and development tools (C, C++, Python) would be an asset.
- Design and simulation of digital electronic circuits.
- Design and simulation of analogue electronic circuits.
- Knowledge and application of quality and reliability assurance techniques in electronics.
- Operation and maintenance of power electronic components and systems.
- Commissioning, operation & maintenance of electronic systems.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting using time efficiently and effectively;
- Achieving results: being rigorous and producing quality results at first attempt having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind;
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them recognizing what is essential; discriminating between important and peripheral information and being able to see the whole picture;
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships;
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating openness to new ideas and situations demonstrating a willingness to accept changing circumstances; supporting initiatives for change.
- Spoken and written English: the ability to draw up technical documentation. The ability to speak French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 27.10.2019.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Residence in the immediate vicinity of the Organization's installations.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: TE-MPE-EP-2019-100-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electronics Technical Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further