Senior Research Fellowship Programme: Theoretical & Experimental Physics
- Geneva, Switzerland
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.ch
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization.
Welcome to the Senior Research Fellowship Programme: Theoretical and Experimental Physics.
The Senior Research Fellowship Programme is aimed at graduates from universities studying in the fields of theoretical and experimental physics with between 4 and 10 years’ experience. Senior Research Fellowships are intended for PhD graduates looking to work in a research group.
Please remember that you are applying for a programme and not for a specific job. If selected, you will have a free choice of research group. To this end, please motivate your interest during the interactive online application process, and/or attach a separate motivation letter. As our online application system only allows for alphanumeric values, an attachment may provide you with a greater freedom of expression.
In order to qualify for a place on the programme you will need to meet the following requirements:
- You are a national of a CERN Member or Associate Member State. (https://home.cern/about/member-states). A limited number of positions are also available to candidates from Non-Member States.
- You have (or are about to complete) a PhD in particle physics.
- You have no more than 10 years’ research experience after completion of your MSc diploma.
- Please note that CERN Staff members are not eligible to apply for a Fellowship.
CERN would very much like to benefit from your expertise, commitment and passion. In return, CERN will provide you with:
- An employment contract for between six months (minimum) up to a maximum of 36 months.
- A stipend ranging from 7,170 to 8,143 Swiss francs per month (net of tax).
- Coverage by CERN’s comprehensive health scheme (for yourself, your spouse and children), and membership of the CERN Pension Fund.
- Depending on your individual circumstances: an installation grant, family, child and infant allowances as well as travel expenses to and from Geneva.
- 2.5 days of paid leave per month.
This is how you can apply:
You will need the following documents (in PDF format) to complete your application:
- A CV.
- Your most recent relevant qualification.
- A statement of research interests (maximum one page).
- Three recent letters of recommendation (not older than a year at the time of the deadline for applications) giving an overview of your academic and/or professional achievements.
- You can upload these letters at the time of application if you have them to hand. You will also be provided with a link as soon as you have submitted your application to forward to your referees to upload their letters confidentially. Please note this must be done before the closing date.
You will also be asked to name:
- The five most important publications to which you have made a significant contribution;
- Five international conferences or workshops at which you have given presentations;
- Five public or internal notes to which you have contributed personally;
- For experimentalists, three experiments in which you have participated.
All applications should normally reach us no later than 2 March 2020 at noon (12.00 PM CEST).
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents (except recommendations letters) or edit your application further.
Candidates in Theoretical Physics should only apply for the November committee
Please note that all the documents you upload will remain attached to your Smartrecruiters profile. You do not need to upload them again for other applications you might submit.