Fire Safety Engineer (HSE-OHS-IB-2019-74-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a qualified and proactive Fire Safety Engineer, willing to contribute to a unique work environment at the heart of one of the world's most complex and exciting scientific experiments? Then this opportunity is for you. Join the largest particle physics research laboratory in the world! CERN, take part!
As a Fire Safety Engineer in the Infrastructure & Building Safety Engineering (IB) Section of HSE Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Group, you will take up the role of CERN specialist for Fire Safety, joining the Fire Safety Engineering team and a multidisciplinary team of Safety experts, covering several engineering domains.
Fire Safety Engineering (FSE) covers performance-based design of new CERN research facilities, carrying out fire risk assessments, defining suitable compensatory measures, developing and using and maintaining appropriate FSE tools.
- Check and validate fire design concepts for key CERN projects;
- Provide support to the design and assessment of research facilities, not fully covered by common standards, from a fire safety standpoint;
- Perform applied research activities in FSE fields related to the subject of interest for the Organization;
- Provide technical guidance and inputs for the scoping and preparation of fire risk assessments for CERN infrastructures;
- Contribute to the Projects and Experiments Safety Support activity of the HSE-OHS group for CERN projects follow-up, by coordinating internally the contributions of different Safety specialists.
You will also:
- Check the conformity to Safety requirements of engineering and tendering specifications.
- Design and deliver Safety training related to fire safety.
- Write CERN Safety documentation including rules, instructions and guidelines.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Fire Safety Engineering or a related field.
Professional certification in the field of fire safety is an asset.
- Demonstrated experience in application of performance-based fire safety design;
- Demonstrated experience in application of fire risk assessment methodologies and tools such as fire simulation software.
The following experience would be an asset:
- Working experience for Authorities Having Jurisdiction on fire safety;
- Experience in research activities in fire safety engineering;
- Experience in writing fire safety rules.
- Knowledge and application of numerical modelling in fluid mechanics and/or heat transfer
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages: knowledge in programming languages and scripting applied to fire simulations. Developing ad hoc IT tools for FSE would be an asset.
- Occupational safety and risk management: thorough knowledge of qualitative and quantitative probabilistic methods applied to fire risk assessment, including evacuation simulations.
- Knowledge of EU regulations: applied knowledge on national, European and international standards applicable to fire safety products and systems.
- Operation of a High-Performance Parallel Computing Cluster.
- Working in Teams: cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Communicating Effectively: delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions
- Achieving Results: delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs
- Solving Problems: producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements Identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them
- Spoken and written English: ability to understand and speak French in professional contexts. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 21.07.2019
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- International travel when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: HSE-OHS-IB-2019-74-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Health, Safety and Environment Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further