Administrative Assistant (IPT-2019-70-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Great science needs great people! Are you an administrative assistant with great communication and organisational skills looking to thrive in an environment where multitasking is essential? CERN, take part!
As an administrative assistant, you will join the CERN’s Industry, Procurement and Knowledge Transfer (IPT) Department which mission is to provide essential support and advice on procurement, knowledge transfer and EU projects.
The Department is comprised of three separate Groups each composed of various sections dedicated to specific activities accompanied by the Office of the Department Head. The three Groups are as follows: Procurement and Industrial Services, Knowledge Transfer, and European Union Support.
The IPT Department develops and maintains relationships with key stakeholders, industry, research and academic organisations to facilitate the flow of knowledge and services both to and from CERN, and contributes to increase the visibility of CERN at European level.
As an administrative assistant, you will:
- Provide front-office service for all categories of personnel upon arrival, departure and throughout their appointment;
- Process requests for the purchases/reimbursement/benefits/payments;
- Arrange official travel and calculate reimbursements according to the CERN rules in force;
- Provide administrative support for the organisation and follow-up of conferences and further events;
- Keep up-to-date with and apply a variety of CERN rules and procedures;
- Ensure smooth circulation of information as required within and outside the Department; provide assistance for document drafting, editing and proof-reading;
- Liaise and communicate with other CERN services;
- Maintaining documentation and archives (web pages, internal controls and procedures, databases, catalogues);
- Follow up of budget and projects.
Higher technical diploma in the field of administration or a related field.
- Experience in a variety of administrative and support tasks for a large unit;
- Experience in a front-line and international environment would be an advantage.
- Customer service;
- Event organisation and management;
- Secretarial work;
- Use of office software packages (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Working in teams: understanding when teamwork is required to achieve the best results; including others accordingly and sharing information; working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Communicating effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented; providing others with timely information; demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively.
- Managing self: using time efficiently and effectively; working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; actively seeking feedback on own performance and taking steps to improve it.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements; readily absorbing new techniques and working practices; proposing new or improved ways of working.
- Spoken and written English: ability to understand and communicate in professional contexts as well as draft texts and official communications.
- Knowledge of French would be an advantage or the willingness to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 30.06.2019.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: IPT-2019-70-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Personal/Team Assistant
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further