Material Standardisation Officer (cables, connectors and electronics equipment.) (SMB-SC-SO-2019-67-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Do you have experience in standardisation of technical equipment and materials, providing focus on continuous improvement in quality, delivery, cost reduction and support to meet customer requirements? Join CERN and offer your technical expertise to the world’s largest particle physics laboratory. CERN, take part!
The successful candidate will join the Site Management and Buildings (SMB) Department, which is responsible for maintaining and renovating the Organization's structures and infrastructures, operating the technical services of the tertiary structures and infrastructures, providing general services and guaranteeing the security of people and property on the sites.
Within the SMB Department, the Supply Chain (SC) Group provides logistics (shipping, reception and distribution of goods and waste management) and stores services for all CERN Departments and for the entire user community.
The Stores (SO) Section is responsible for defining standard equipment (long-term needs and recurrent use), classifying it and publishing it in the internal web-based catalogue, as well as for managing supplies, orders and running the warehouses used for storage and order preparation. Cables, connectors and electronics centrally represent for 4000+ references and a turnover or 6MCHF / year.
As Material Standardisation Officer for cables, connectors and electronics equipment in the Stores Section, you will be in charge of the following functions:
- Technical responsibility for the standardisation of equipment / material used in CERN technical installations:
- Researching and studying new items to be standardised, as well as rationalising and updating existing items;
- Organising and managing technical groups working on the standardisation of items (community management) with scientific and technical internal clients;
- Taking an active part in the auditing, evaluation and qualification of firms.
- Initiating and monitoring the procurement process for these materials:
- Working closely with the Procurement Service on the launch of market survey and invitations to tender;
- Drawing up detailed technical specifications for complex equipment, referring as much as possible to European or international standards;
- Defining and checking the follow-up of test procedures for quality control;
- Providing technical analysis of bids and selection of products in order to finalise contracts or orders with the firms concerned;
- Working with bidding firms on the development and improvement of certain special equipment;
- Prospecting for new potential suppliers and product alternatives on the market.
- Processing special requests for standard materials from the CERN Departments and user community:
- Advising on and checking compatibility between the intended use and the material chosen;
- Monitoring the service level and taking corrective measures if necessary.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electrical and/or electronics engineering or a related field.
- Demonstarted experience in drafting and monitoring technical specifications and inspection plans;
- Good knowledge of international standards for cables, connectors and/or electronic equipment;
- Experience in procurement of technical supply;
- Day-to-day use of MRP or ERP.
- Project management;
- Design and manufacturing of cables including connectors;
- Use of office software packages: Microsoft Office or equivalent (Word, Excel).
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; seeking to help other team members when own work is done; supporting others.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point; utilising effective negotiation techniques to achieve long-term results acceptable to all parties involved.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; taking appropriate corrective actions and adapting work / project plans if necessary.
- Spoken and written English and French: ability to understand and speak both languages in professional contexts as well as the ability to draft technical documentation and to make oral presentations in both languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 26.06.2019.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: SMB-SC-SO-2019-67-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electrical Technical Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further