Exhibition Developer (IR-ECO-EXH-2019-66-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you passionate about developing innovative experiences for visitors? CERN’s exhibitions team offers an exciting opportunity to develop exhibits for its major new project, the Science Gateway, designed by architect Renzo Piano, opening in 2022 and CERN’s many other exhibitions.
You will join the International Relations Sector (IR) - Education, Communications and Outreach Group (ECO), which is responsible for generating public engagement in science; producing and distributing information; fostering community-building; and consolidating support for CERN and its mission.
The CERN’s exhibitions team currently curates two permanent exhibitions: Microcosm and the Universe of Particles at the Globe of Science and Innovation. It develops exhibits for guided visit itineraries at 10 locations across the CERN site as well as its travelling exhibitions. The team is the focal point for exchanges with external museums working on CERN-related content and regularly offers objects for loan from CERN’s Heritage Collection. Work now starts on a major new project, the CERN Science Gateway, which will include 2000m2 of exhibitions taking visitors behind the scenes at CERN and telling the story of our universe, with hands-on experimentation for age 8 and up.
As a member of CERN’s exhibitions team, you will carry out the following tasks:
- Develop creative content for CERN’s exhibitions: researching stories through interaction with the scientific community, defining the message structure, coordinating the design and build phases and ensuring content is accessible to all visitors.
- Lead the conception, prototyping, testing and production of hands-on experiments for integration throughout the exhibition spaces in Science Gateway, working with other teams involved in creating content for the project to ensure a coherent experience for the visitors.
- Participate in the evaluation of the exhibit content with relevant audience groups.
- Write texts for the labels of interactives, objects, multimedia and hands-on experiments.
- Prepare the design and build specifications for tendering and coordinate supply for the creation of new exhibition spaces.
- Collaborate with other science centers across member states on CERN-related exhibitions.
- Document and collect objects for CERN’s Heritage collection.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Museum Studies, Science communication, or a related scientific field.
- Extensive experience in developing hands-on exhibits for science centers and working with a broad range of audience groups from primary school level through to adult.
- Proven experience in communicating physics (or other natural sciences) through interactive exhibitions.
- Excellent writing skills with demonstrated experience in producing engaging content for non-specialist audiences on topics related to physics, astronomy and related technologies.
- Familiarity with MS Office is obligatory, in addition to initial experience of design software would an advantage.
- Experience of co-creation of exhibition content with visitor groups would be an advantage.
- Exhibition design and development.
- Science communications.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; remaining objective, focused and productive in a stressful environment; focusing on solutions rather than problems.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Communicating effectively: delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions; checking to ensure that the message has been well understood; expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements;demonstrating willingness to alter views when presented with new information; being willing to work on different projects simultaneously.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems; taking action to address them;recognizing what is essential; discriminating between important and peripheral information and being able to see the whole picture; being open to original ideas and creative options by which to address issues; continually driving change by seeking new ways to improve outcomes.
- Excellent command of English or French, especially in writing and editing. Knowledge of the other language or the undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 07.06.2019
Contract type: limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: IR-ECO-EXH-2019-66-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Communications/Public Relations /External Relations Professional
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further