Building Automation Technician (SMB-SE-HE-2019-51-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Would you like to use your skills to take an active role in the control and regulation of the HVAC and electrical systems in CERN buildings? Would you like to contribute to the infrastructure and analysis of the data from the CERN PLCs in order to provide energy saving? CERN, take part!
You will join the HVAC and Electricity Section (SMB-SE-HE) whose members participate in the operation, maintenance and works of CERN buildings managed by the SMB-SE Group. You can find further information at http://smb-dep.web.cern.ch/en/Group/SMB-SE-HE.
As a Building Automation Technician, you will participate in the operation, maintenance and works for HVAC and electrical systems in CERN buildings.
- Participate in the maintenance, installation, design and works of the new installations or buildings.
- Build systems automation using Saia PLCs programs.
- Ensure daily management of the services which include providing technician level expertise, writing or checking functional analysis, writing specifications, PLC programming, tuning and testing installations, performance and availability monitoring and computing security.
- Define, document and implement procedures.
- Coordinate major deployments such as new releases of software and operating systems for PLCs.
- Propose improvements and upgrade of the existing equipment.
- Coordinate the electro-mechanical work completed by contractors.
- Work in close collaboration with IT teams across different departments at CERN.
Technical certificate or general secondary education in the field of HVAC or electricity or automation or a related field.
- In depth knowledge of PLC for HVAC and electricity.
- Demonstrated experience using Saia PLC in the building field.
- Performance analysis of Installation Services to scale them to adapt to an ever changing workload with special focus on performance tuning, improvement, balancing, usability, automation.
- Sensor and actuators testing and tuning.
- Energy counting.
Experience in the following fields would be an asset:
- Experience in DCC suite language.
- Previous experience using scripting languages such as PGC from Saia Burgess.
- Experience in lighting management via Dali and KNX protocols.
- Storage experience and/or virtual machine experience.
- Knowledge and application of automation and control theory.
- Installation, operation and maintenance of industrial data-acquisition, monitoring and control systems.
- Functional analysis of control systems.
- Construction, test and installation of electromechanical equipment and systems.
- Knowledge and application of controls (non-linear, adaptative, predictive, etc).
- Programming languages : PLCs languages, Java, Python.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Achieving results: delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs.
- Solving problems: producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements; demonstrating a willingness to accept changing circumstances; supporting initiatives for change.
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 26.05.2019.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- A valid driving licence.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: SMB-SE-HE-2019-51-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electronics Technician
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further