Junior Mechanical Technician (BE-RF-PM-2019-22-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you an enthusiastic Junior Mechanical Technician looking to acquire RF power experience whilst working on complex RF problematics? CERN, take part!
You will join:
- The Beams Department (BE), which hosts the Groups responsible for beam generation, acceleration, diagnostics, controls and performance optimisation.
- The Radio-Frequency Group (BE-RF), responsible for the RF Acceleration and Transverse Damping Systems for CERN accelerators. Our team operates the RF systems of existing accelerators and participates in the design of future accelerators and upgrades of existing machines.
- The Power Amplifiers & Couplers, Modules Section (BE-RF-PM), responsible for the design, operation and maintenance of large RF power plants and related infrastructure. Please have a look at the following article: https://home.cern/news/news/accelerators/ls2-report-technological-leap-sps-acceleration
As a Junior Mechanical Technician in the Power Amplifiers & Couplers, Modules Section, you will be part of a team working on RF power amplifiers with the aim of designing, assembling, maintaining and testing high power RF systems for CERN's present accelerators plus future projects.
After an initial training period, you will:
- Produce out-of-the box designs using Office-computing applications and liaise with CERN’s main workshop and other relevant services at CERN.
- Participate in the operation and maintenance of existing systems.
- Contribute to the development and prototyping of improved systems and their components for consolidation and upgrade of accelerators.
- Participate in installation and commissioning of these systems.
- Produce and manage the associated technical documentation and test reports.
- Focus particularly on the review of security and safety questions, either during conception as well as installation or exploitation.
- Participate in a stand-by service our team provides on the equipment.
Higher technical diploma in the field of mechanics or a related field.
- Initial experience in mechanical construction of components and assemblies.
- Production of 2D drawings and 3D models.
- Design, construction and testing of RF power generation components and systems.
- Operation and maintenance of RF components and systems.
- Design and construction of mechanical devices.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities; supporting and acting in accordance with team decisions; accepting joint responsibility for team successes and shortcomings.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: thinking "out of the box" and proposing fresh ideas, insights and methodologies; taking steps to expand knowledge in other areas of expertise beyond own field.
- Achieving results: delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs; driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion.
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://home.cern/about/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 15.04.2019.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: BE-RF-PM-2019-22-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Technician
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further