Electronics Technical Engineer (FPGA) (BE-BI-IQ-2018-120-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you an FPGA Firmware Programmer who is passionate about conceiving, designing and testing electronics for accelerators at the high energy and high intensity frontier? CERN, take part!
You will join the Beams Department (BE), responsible for the beam generation, acceleration, diagnostics, controls and performance optimization for all particle accelerators at CERN including the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) (https://beams.web.cern.ch/). You will work in the Beam Instrumentation Group (BI) and collaborate with many different specialists in the field of electronics, software, mechanics and physics to master the challenges of building, maintaining, testing and installing the electronic systems required to measure the parameters of accelerated particle beams.
As an FPGA Firmware Programmer in the Intensity and Tune Measurement Section, your main task will be to develop and maintain the digital electronics and the firmware used for the control and acquisition of beam parameters such as the intensity, tune and position.
The job will involve:
- The design, upgrade and maintenance of digital acquisition electronics based on field programmable logic-based devices (FPGA);
- Manufacturing, test and installation of large scale digital electronic systems for beam intensity, position and tune measurements;
- Installation, test, commissioning and consolidation of these systems.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electronics engineering or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in the field of electronics engineering.
- Design and simulation of FPGA-based electronics.
- Design and simulation of digital electronic circuits.
- Testing and measurement of analog and digital electronic circuits.
The following technical competencies would be an advantage:
- Knowledge of programming languages for the design of test benches. (Python or C would be an advantage)
- Achieving results: following through on new ideas and innovations; planning and implementing application; driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating openness to new ideas and situations; being willing to work on different projects simultaneously.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements.
- Good knowledge of English or French; basic knowledge of the other language or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://home.cern/about/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 07.05.2019.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: BE-BI-IQ-2018-120-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electronics Technical Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further