General Accountant (FAP-ACC-GA-2019-12-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you an experienced accountant with a good knowledge of IFRS and/or IPSAS norms and a solid experience in asset accounting? Are you organized, analytical, and a team player? We are looking for a dynamic person to join our General Accounting section and take an active role in the CERN’s Asset accounting. Take Part!
You will join the General Accounting (GA) section which is responsible for: preparing the financial statements of the Organization, processing and controlling the accounting operations, recording assets and liabilities, and ensuring compliance with the CERN Financial Rules & Regulations and the IPSAS norms.
As an Accountant, you will be part of a team of seven people and will play a key role in all activities related to asset accounting.
In particular, you will:
- Coordinate regular register(s) updates and reviews of useful lives and residual values with other CERN stakeholders.
- Analyse CERN projects to identify new assets or consolidation/upgrade of existing assets.
- Perform accounting entries related to movements of assets, depreciation/amortization, and impairment tests.
- Perform balance sheet account reconciliations, including a reconciliation of assets register(s) to financial accounts.
- Maintain policies, procedures and controls to ensure efficient, accurate and compliant asset accounting.
- Coordinate physical assets counts.
- Support external auditors queries.
- Support preparation of notes and disclosures in Financial Statements.
- Maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Contribute to any additional accounting activities or projects related to the section’s activities.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of accountancy or finance, or a related field.
The experiences required for this post are:
- Proven experience as a general accountant with a focus on asset accounting.
- Demonstrated experience with international accounting standards IFRS and/or IPSAS.
- Experience preferably acquired in a company handling large volumes of data, or in an international organization.
- Accounting control and analysis: book-keeping and book-closing.
- Financial reporting and analysis: treating large volumes of data.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind; objectively assessing and monitoring own work; regularly reporting on progress and advising of any changes in schedule or priorities.
- Solving problems: assimilating large quantities of information; identifying key issues and formulating conclusions clearly and concisely; recognizing what is essential; discriminating between important and peripheral information; and being able to see the whole picture.
- Demonstrating accountability: using openness and honesty to interact constructively with others; working conscientiously and reliably; and delivering on promises.
- Managing self: maintaining a positive outlook even in difficult situations; demonstrating resilience and persistence in response to setbacks and adversity; working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; remaining objective, focused and productive in a stressful environment; and focusing on solutions rather than problems.
- Demonstrating flexibility: being able to deal with ambiguous or unpredictable situations; demonstrating openness to new ideas and situations
- Spoken and written English and French: ability to understand and speak both languages in professional contexts.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://home.cern/about/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 20.03.2019.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: FAP-ACC-GA-2019-12-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Financial Professional
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further