Mechanical Technician (TE-CRG-ME-2018-136-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
It's big, it's loud, it's cold, and it's a challenging and exciting place to work! Come and join the mechanical team supporting, consolidating, developing and maintaining CERN cryogenic facilities, a unique opportunity to work on large and complex cryogenic equipments and to participate to the design, construction, installation and commissioning of cryogenics systems for accelerators, detectors and test facilities. CERN, Take Part!
As mechanical technician in the Technology Department (TE), Cryogenics Group (CRG), Mechanical and Engineering support section (ME), you will participate in the development and consolidation of cryogenic equipment for CERN accelerators, detectors and test areas. The activity ranges from the design to the commissioning phase of equipment, including the definition and participation to maintenance programs. For more information: http://te-dep.web.cern.ch/content/cryogenics-group-crg
As a member of a team, this post will involve:
- Contributing to the design of mechanical components of cryogenic systems and producing drawings (integration, assembly and detailed drawings), defining the layout of services(e.g. piping) and the layout/routing of cables and circuits.
- Contributing to the definition of modifications of existing cryogenic equipment,
- Providing technical support for the operation and maintenance of cryogenic systems located at any of the Organization's sites, working in partnership with other services and external partners.
- Following the fabrication process, installation and commissioning of cryogenic equipment.
- Managing the associated technical documentation: from the detailed characteristics of the equipment to the Quality Assurance Plan.
- Writing test and inspection procedures and managing the associated documentation.
Technical diploma in the field of Mechanics or related field, or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated experience in mechanical design (mechanical drawings, flow charts and process diagrams).
- Demonstrated experience in the installation and testing of industrial systems, fabrication monitoring and management of technical documentation.
- Previous experience writing simple procedures and test reports.
- Production of 2D drawings and 3D models: thermo-mechanical design, integration of mechanical systems;
- Design and analysis of mechanical structures: thermo-mechanical assembly & installation;
- Knowledge and application of manufacturing methods and work preparation: definition of manufacturing method, process, preparation, planning, drawing, and control;
- Assembly of mechanical structures and equipment: commissioning & maintenance of mechanical equipment & systems.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities; understanding when teamwork is required to achieve the best results; including others accordingly and sharing information.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; remaining objective, focussed and productive in a stressful environment; focusing on solutions rather than problems.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information; sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating a willingness to accept changing circumstances; supporting initiatives for change; being willing to work on different projects simultaneously.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind; producing comprehensive work / project plans taking into account resources and contingencies.
Spoken and written English or French: good knowledge of the other language or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://home.cern/about/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 21.02.2019
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: TE-CRG-ME-2018-136-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Technician
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further