Electronics Technical Engineer for Medipix project (EP-ESE-ME-2018-129-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you interested in radiation detection and imaging and would you like to contribute to the development of the next generation of hybrid pixel detectors for use at CERN and elsewhere? The Experimental Physics Department at CERN is looking for an enthusiastic electronics technical engineer with knowledge of PCB design and microelectronics testing and packaging to support an international Collaboration developing detectors for medical imaging and other fields.
You will join the Electronic Systems for Experiments Group (ESE) of the Experimental Physics Department (EP), which designs electronic systems for the experiments at CERN and also supplies a series of electronics related services. The Microelectronics section (ME) designs, qualifies and tests radiation tolerant integrated circuits which are used throughout high energy physics experiments. The Medipix design team within the ME section designs CMOS ASICs for the next generation of hybrid pixel detectors to be used at CERN and elsewhere. The team also supports a large community of users.
As an Electronics Technical Engineer and after a period of intensive training you will be involved in organising logistical and technical support for the Collaboration members worldwide. This will involve wafer testing, assembly testing, keeping detailed inventories and general technical support. Moreover various groups within CERN are using Medipix/Timepix devices in different projects and applications. You will be the first line technical contact for these people.
- Take responsibility in collaboration with design engineers, for the design, manufacture and assembly of laboratory-based test systems to characterize ASICs and ASIC-detector assemblies. Advise designers on best practices for optimal integration of ASICs on test boards.
- Participate in preparation and execution of validation and production tests of ASIC’s and ASIC-detector assemblies both on the bench and at a dedicated probe station. Interpret results and propose and develop technical solutions where necessary.
- Assist with the operation, maintenance and upgrading of dedicated laboratory instruments, probe station, test equipment and general laboratory facilities.
- Maintain a database of components.
- Design and procure probe cards and small PCBs for ASICs and ASIC assemblies.
- Provide technical assistance and logistical support to users of the devices including the setting up and debugging of test systems in labs and in test beam areas.
- Interface with specialized companies dealing with packaging of integrated circuits and their mounting on front-end modules.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electronics engineering or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in the field of electronics, preferably using ASICs
- Demonstrated experience with design, test and production of electronics boards incorporating ASICs
- Experience with the use of CAD tools for schematic and layout of printed circuit boards
- Experience with at least one modern programming language (e.g. C)
- Experience with at least one popular operating system (e.g. Windows or Linux)
Experience in the following fields will be considered as an advantage:
- Semiconductor sensors
- Device testing with radiation (sources or X-rays)
- Wafer testing on probe stations
- Laboratory data acquisition and test software packages, such as LabVIEW
- Testing and measurement of analog microelectronic circuits
- Testing and measurement of digital microelectronic circuits
- Layout of electronic circuit boards: including chip on board
- Fabrication of electronic circuit boards
- Packaging of electronic components
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; gaining trust and collaboration from others; cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; remaining objective, focussed and productive in a stressful environment; focusing on solutions rather than problems.
- Solving problems: being open to original ideas and creative options by which to address issues; continually driving change by seeking new ways to improve outcomes; testing solutions for long-term suitability, cross-checking with all concerned before implementation.
- Communicating effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented; providing others with timely information; delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions.
- Demonstrating flexibility: actively participating in the implementation of new processes and technologies; demonstrating openness to new ideas and situations; readily absorbing new techniques and working practices; proposing new or improved ways of working.
English: spoken and written with the ability to draw up technical texts. The ability to understand and speak French in professional contexts would be an advantage.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://home.cern/about/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 10.02.2019.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: EP-ESE-ME-2018-129-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electronics Technical Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further