Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) Technician (EN-MME-MM-2018-130-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you passionate about the material sciences? As an NDT technician, you would be joining one of the largest projects on the planet and contributing to the upkeep of high standards in CERN. Take part!
As an NDT Technician, you will join:
The Engineering (EN) Department that provides engineering competences, infrastructure systems and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
The Mechanical and Materials Engineering (MME) Group that provides specific engineering solutions for CERN, combining mechanical design, production facilities and material science support.
The Materials, Metrology and Non-Destructive Testing (MM) section that undertakes the development, selection, specification, characterisation and analysis of materials such as metals and their alloys, composites, ceramics and thin films. The section provides support for the quality control of materials and components including Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) and dimensional controls; conceives and realises a large range of static and dynamic mechanical tests and measurements and performs failure analyses. The team maintains and develops several decades of know-how and experience in material selection and investigation for the construction of beam accelerators and physics detectors.
With a general background in material science, combined with relevant nationally recognised certifications in NDT, you will be required to inspect materials, welds and components using NDT, with a particular emphasis on Radiographic Testing (RT).
As part of a small group of specialists, you will:
- Suggest and apply NDT (and in particular RT) test programs. You will perform or supervise NDT campaigns carried out by external contractors at CERN and provide technical support to suppliers and field personnel of NDT services at CERN.
- Work in dedicated test facilities for NDT examinations making use of X-ray generators and computed radiography; with time you will extend to computed tomography (CT) and microtomography (µCT), and develop and evaluate new equipment technology.
- Apply specialist RT techniques: assure operation, technical coordination and planning of radiographic inspections on the different CERN sites. Perform, coordinate and/or witness examinations with other NDT techniques including: Visual Testing (VT), Penetrant Testing (PT), Ultrasonic Testing (UT).
- Make critical assessments of NDT results and procedures, produce technical reports and advise users on problems related to NDT. You will present your results in technical or scientific meetings.
- Manage invoicing and accounting services related to NDT and in particular RT (internal services provided by EN-MME-MM and external services by subcontractors).
- Assure the maintenance of NDT and in particular RT equipment. Provide guidance and field support to other inspectors and subcontractors of NDT examinations.
- You must be willing to travel internationally to conduct and/or witness NDT inspections.
Higher technical diploma in the field of material science or mechanics, or a related field.
Valid certification in RT, Level 2 or higher (following ISO 9712 or equivalent). Valid nationally recognized certificate for operating X-ray generators for industrial radiology.
- Proven experience in conventional and computed radiography as a certified RT Level 2 or higher: experience in establishing and maintaining RT techniques to inspect materials, brazed and welded joints and components.
- Experience in CT and µCT would be an asset.
- Experience in other non-destructive examination techniques such as, but not limited to, pT, VT, UT would be an advantage.
- Experience in providing and interpreting inspection results based on acceptance criteria identified on specifications, drawings or workshop orders in the framework of national and international standards and codes.
- Experience in managing NDT services, including those provided by subcontractors.
- Additional certification, Level 2 or higher, in one or more of the following NDT techniques such as, but not limited to, pT, VT, UT would be an advantage.
- Knowledge and application of non-destructive testing (NDT) techniques: possess strong knowledge of the theory and principles of RT inspection.
- Knowledge of metals and alloys: composition, structure, properties, heat treatments: knowledge of the production of materials and fabrication of various types of components.
- Knowledge and application of manufacturing methods and work preparation: joining techniques: welding, brazing, casting, additive manufacturing.
- Familiarity with safety requirements involved with the operation of RT equipment.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; being rigorous and producing quality results at first attempt.
- Communicating effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented; expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point.
- Demonstrating accountability: presenting information accurately and objectively; standing up for own opinion and actions with well substantiated arguments.
- Working in teams: supporting and acting in accordance with team decisions; accepting joint responsibility for team successes and shortcomings.
- Spoken and written English and French.
- Ability to draw up inspection reports in English.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://home.cern/about/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 20.01.2019.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: EN-MME-MM-2018-130-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Material Science/Chemical Technician
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further