Electronics Technician (BE-BI-2018-114-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a motivated technician in the field of electronics who is passionate about building, maintaining and testing the complex electronics required to operate accelerators at the high energy and intensity frontier? CERN, take part!
You will join the Beams Department (BE), responsible for the beam generation, acceleration, diagnostics, controls and performance optimization for all particle accelerators at CERN including the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) (https://beams.web.cern.ch/). You will work in the Beam Instrumentation Group (BI) and collaborate with many different specialists in the field of electronics, software, mechanics and physics to master the challenges of building, maintaining, testing and installing the electronic systems required to measure the parameters of accelerated particle beams.
As an Electronics Technician, your task will be to build, test, install and maintain the electronic systems used to monitor the particle beams throughout the entire CERN accelerator complex.
Your main activities will consist of:
- Producing, assembling, testing and installing electronic acquisition systems and their related cabling infrastructure for instrumentation used to optimize the performance of the LHC and its injector chain.
- Maintaining the electronic components of beam instrumentation systems throughout the CERN accelerator complex.
- Collaboration with both internal and external partners.
Higher technical diploma in the field of electronics or electro-mechanics or a related field.
- This post requires a demonstrated experience as a technician in the field of electronics or electro-mechanics.
- Construction, test and installation of electromechanical equipment and systems.
- Design and manufacturing of cables, including connectors.
- Assembly of electronic components on PCB.
- Testing and measurement of analogue and digital electronic circuits.
- Commissioning, operation and maintenance of electronic systems.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations. Willingness to acquire knowledge of the other language rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://home.cern/about/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 27.01.2019.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: BE-BI-2018-114-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electronics Technician
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further