Electromechanical Technician (TE-MSC-SCD-2018-127-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you an electro-mechanical technician? Are you attracted by the idea of joining the laboratory with the world's largest superconducting scientific instruments? Learn and contribute your skills to support the development, production and characterisation of high-current superconducting cables for the superconducting magnets of the accelerators and its future. CERN, take part!
Within this group, you will be part of the Superconductor and Devices Section (TE-MSC-SCD), which is responsible for:
- Superconducting materials, wires, tapes and cables for the CERN accelerators.
- Superconducting devices, i.e. power transmission lines and current leads.
- Superconducting laboratories for advanced materials characterisation.
After a period of training, the successful candidate will join a team of technicians and scientists at CERN, and work on the assembly of high-current superconducting Nb3Sn Rutherford cables developed in the framework of the high-field magnet program for the LHC upgrades. You will operate the existing cabling machine and the associated equipment used for quality control of the cables, contribute to the upgrade of the facilities, develop tools for performing mechanical and geometrical measurements on the cables, and prepare samples for optimal image analysis.
In the medium term, you will contribute to the development of tools used for the electrical characterisation of superconducting wires and cables at cryogenic temperature and to the operation of the associated test stations.
The job entails the following main functions:
- Participating in the operation, maintenance and repair of the Rutherford cabling machine, and of the cable quality control equipment.
- Carrying out the reception and storage of superconducting wires and cables.
- Performing measurements at room temperature on strands and cables, which includes the preparation and contribution to measurements of superconducting wires and cables.
- Participating in the development, assembly and operation of test stations.
- Participating in the operation of cryogenic test stations incorporating high-field superconducting magnets.
- Preparing and reporting assembly procedures and measurement results.
Technical certificate or general secondary education in the field of electricity electro-mechanics, or related field.
The experience required for this post is:
- Previous experience in electrical and electro-mechanical equipment construction, operation, and maintenance.
- Previous experience in laboratory activities, tests, and measurements.
- Initial experience in the measurement of superconductors and/or operation of cryogenic test stations would be an asset.
- Design of electromechanical systems such as cryogenic and electrical test stations conceived for measuring superconductors and cabling machines.
- Construction, test, and installation of electromechanical equipment and systems.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; allocating appropriate amount of time for completing tasks.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises.
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language or the undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://home.cern/about/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 07.07.2019.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: TE-MSC-SCD-2018-127-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electromechanical Technician
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further