Web and RTC Engineer (IT-CDA-IC-2018-121-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a computer engineer with experience and a strong taste for Real-Time Communications and web development? Then seize the opportunity and work with us on building and exploiting the next generation of communication systems for CERN and contribute to various services including videoconference, webcast and IP telephony. CERN, take part!
You will join:
- The Collaboration, Devices, and Applications (CDA) group, which provides information services such as video conferencing; webcast; Indico; e-publishing; the CERN Document Server; the multimedia server; the CERN Bulletin application; printing; e-mail; web content; and authentication on a range of devices such as desktop computers, laptops, tablets and smartphones.
- The Integrated Collaboration (IC) section, which supports the site-wide conference and collaboration infrastructure; and manages most conference rooms (168 at today's count); develops web software for event management and provides webcast, recording, IP telephony clients and videoconferencing services around the CERN sites.
For more information on the IT department, see http://cern.ch/it-dep.
As a member of the team in charge of Real Time Communication services (webcast, lecture recording, videoconference and IP telephony frontend) you will:
- Develop and maintain the tools and interfaces that are needed for these services (web sites, encoding, transcoding, workflow automation, dashboards, as well as desktop, web and mobile clients).
- Ensure proper integration of these service in CERN conference and meeting rooms and with the global CERN collaboration environment (through the Indico event management software).
- Support the externalised operations team in their daily work.
- Deploy, configure and operate the services for exceptional events.
- Ensure that the best tools are selected for the provisioning, operation and monitoring of these services.
- Provide high-level user support for these services.
- Handle specific RTC projects requested by CERN user communities (requirements establishment, design, and implementation).
- Act as backup to the RTC service manager during absences.
Master's degree, or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Information Technology, or a related field.
- Extensive experience in software development, quality assurance, and testing, especially on the web.
- Proven experience in real-time communications hardware and software.
- Proven experience in graphical user interface development.
- Experience in mobile development would be an asset.
- Development of application software: (web development stacks: Python, Flask, React, JS frameworks, HTML/CSS frameworks, HTML5, Git).
- Knowledge of communication technologies and protocols: (RTC protocols and standards: h323, SIP, webRTC, streaming servers, web multimedia players, acquisition cards, videoconference technologies).
- Conceptualising, designing and developing user experiences and interfaces.
- Knowledge of database and/or data mining architectures and technologies: (MySQL, PostgreSQL).
- Knowledge of system configuration tools: (Openshift, Docker, Continuous Integration).
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs; having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining, and assessing problems; taking action to address them anticipating obstacles; assessing alternative solutions in order to have a fall-back plan.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; remaining objective, focused, and productive in a stressful environment; focusing on solutions rather than on problems.
- Demonstrating flexibility: actively participating in the implementation of new processes and technologies; adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements; demonstrating openness to new ideas and situations.
- Spoken and written English.
- Ability to understand and speak French or the undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://home.cern/about/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 29.11.2018.
Contract type: limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organszation.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organisation.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: IT-CDA-IC-2018-121-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further