Administrative & content management assistant (BE-CO-2018-124-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Great science needs great people! Are you a tech savvy, self-motivated administrative assistant with strong organizational skills and great attention to detail? The Beams Department is offering a great opportunity to join a multinational team with a wide range of skills and expertise that operates and provides support for the world' s largest particle accelerators. CERN, take part!
As an administrative assistant in the Beams Controls Group (BE-CO) you will contribute to the general administration of a large group comprising over 90 members of personnel.
You will benefit from:
- An opportunity to make a strong contribution to the smooth operation of the administration of the Group, to broaden your knowledge into new areas and to discover an Organization where excellence is the key driving factor;
- Specific training and support for professional development to enlarge your skills and develop your talents.
As Group Secretary, you will provide administrative support to the Group Leader, Group members and visitors. You will work in close collaboration with the Technical Coordinator of the Group and be called upon to provide support concerning content management of the Group’s web sites, documentation, work package and their resource allocation using specific technical tools.
Your activities will consist of:
- Providing administrative support to the Group leader and the BE-CO Management team with respect to organising and scheduling meetings, appointments and tracking progress of tasks and to-do lists related to the Management team;
- Providing front-office service for all categories of personnel upon arrival, departure and throughout their appointment, dealing also with career-related records;
- Preparing, organising and attending technical meetings for which you will take minutes of the proceedings;
- Keeping up-to-date with and applying a variety of CERN rules and procedures;
- Arranging official travel and calculating reimbursements according to the CERN rules in force;
- Providing administrative support for the organisation and follow-up of conferences and further events;
- Formatting and/or typing documents, ensuring their accurate, timely publication using the relevant computer tools;
- Maintaining statistical information and producing computerised reports;
- Maintaining physical and electronic documents, web pages, shared files and records to provide up-to-date information;
- Migrating the BE-CO Group and Sections' public web sites to the next official Drupal versions, adapting to the new CERN web components; maintaining and supporting them (in the long-term);
- Maintaining the human-resource allocation to the different teams in the Group' s planning tool (Portfolio);
- Updating and maintaining the Group' s technical documentation structure with the inputs from the responsible persons.
Technical certificate or higher technical diploma in the field of general administration, or equivalent.
The ability to work effectively and calmly under pressure of deadlines, interruptions and changing priorities.
Strong interpersonal skills, with proven success of working both independently and as a contributing member of a team, with the willingness to provide support wherever needed in a service environment.
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in a variety of administrative and support tasks for a large unit, preferably in a front-line and international environment.
- Use of Office software packages;
- Customer service;
- Secretarial work;
- Text editing and proof-reading;
- Conceptualising, designing and developing user experiences and interfaces: using Content Management Systems like Drupal and SharePoint;
- Knowledge/use of Latex at an intermediate level would be an asset.
- Managing self: remaining objective, focussed and productive in a stressful environment; focusing on solutions rather than problems; handling uncertainty and ambiguity calmly and effectively; taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Demonstrating flexibility: readily accepting new tasks or work/projects; adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements; actively participating in the implementation of new processes and technologies.
- Communicating effectively: providing others with timely information; ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented; demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; finding the information needed to solve problems; making objective judgments based on all the facts available; seeking and integrating other points of view when tackling an issue; consulting experts in the field and undertaking benchmarking.
- English or French: spoken and written, with the ability to understand and speak in professional contexts and/or to prepare, draft and/or translate accurate texts.
- The ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts would be an advantage.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://home.cern/about/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 12.12.2018.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: BE-CO-2018-124-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Personal/Team Assistant
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further