Electrical Technician (EN-CV-GEM-2018-78-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a proactive, collaborative, multi-tasking and flexible technician? Would you like to work in a technical environment with complex and large-scale installations? Join CERN and put your skills and expertise to the test on some of the world's largest and most complex cooling, air handling and industrial piping installations. CERN, take part!
You will join:
- The Engineering Department (EN) that provides engineering competencies, infrastructure systems and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
- The Cooling and Ventilation Group (EN-CV), responsible for designing, constructing, maintaining, and operating cooling, ventilation and air conditioning systems and large scale fluid distribution systems for the whole Laboratory, particularly in the underground areas of the accelerators and experiments.
- The Methods, Store and Electrical Section (EN-CV-GEM) in charge of the definition of maintenance procedures, computerized maintenance management implementation, spare parts store management and electrical work for the EN-CV Group.
You will benefit from:
- The opportunity to broaden your knowledge in industrial plants and work in an environment where excellence is the key driving factor.
- Specific training and support for professional development to foster your skills and develop your talents.
As a technician in the CV group, you will participate in installation projects as well as operation and maintenance activities for all aspects related to low voltage electrical equipment of the existing CV plants (e.g. power and control cubicles, motors, heaters, etc). You will be expected to follow these complex activities to completion reporting to a responsible engineer and interacting with various group services. Your expertise in electrical systems and equipment will allow you to provide high-level support to other members of the Group in different domains (design, troubleshooting, maintenance, operation). Similarly, you will receive support,where needed, from project engineers and various other technicians who are all experts in their own fields.
- Support the preliminary or detailed technical electrical design studies for both new works and modification to existing installations.
- Take part in architectural design choices of cooling and ventilation plant electrical systems relating to major CERN projects.
- Contribute to writing technical specifications, market surveys and call-for-tender documents.
- Follow-up on, coordinate and report to reference engineers on construction work on electrical systems (power and control cubicles, cabling of equipment such as motors, instruments, actuators) for cooling and ventilation installations such as water pumping, compressed air, chilled water production and ventilation systems to ensure they comply with safety rules, technical standards and contractual documents and are within the established schedule and budget.
- Monitor and follow up external contractors' activities to ensure compliance with contractual agreements and technical standards.
- Participate in the testing and commissioning of cooling and ventilation plants.
- Contribute to calculations and measurements of electrical industrial plants.
- Propose adequate technical solutions following user's requests on electrical equipment, take responsibility of all consequent actions to perform works.
- Take part in a stand-by service.
Technical certificate in the field of electricity or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience in carrying out design studies for electrical systems, in particular load lists and short circuit, system protection and selectivity analysis.
- Experience adhering to and applying safety rules for construction and maintenance work in electrical systems.
- Experience in the supervision of industrial work sites, test and commissioning.
- Experience in ventilation, compressed-air production or cooling plants would be an asset.
- Design of LV network and switchboard.
- Knowledge of electrical rotating machines.
- Design of electrical circuit layout.
- Thorough understanding of complex electrical drawings for control and power cubicles.
- Subcontracting, industrial support (contract supervision).
- Commissioning, maintenance and operation of electrical distribution systems in low voltage, controls and process automation.
- Cooling process and regulation and HVAC would be an asset
- Demonstrating flexibility: readily accepting new tasks or work/projects; readily absorbing new techniques and working practices; proposing new or improved ways of working; demonstrating openness to new ideas and situations.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; gaining trust and collaboration from others; seeking to help other team members when own work is done; supporting others.
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises; maintaining confidentiality.
- Communicating effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Spoken and written French: ability to understand and speak in professional contexts as well as the ability to prepare/draft accurate texts.
- Knowledge of English or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://careers.cern/content/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 02.12.2018.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: EN-CV-GEM-2018-78-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electrical Technician
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further