Electronics Engineer (BE-BI-EA-2018-113-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a skilled Electronics Engineer who is passionate about conceptualising, designing and testing state of the art electronics for accelerators at the high energy and intensity frontier? CERN, take part!
You will join the Beams Department (BE), responsible for the beam generation, acceleration, diagnostics, controls and performance optimization for all particle accelerators at CERN including the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) (https://beams.web.cern.ch/). You will work in the Beam Instrumentation Group (BI) and collaborate with many different specialists in the field of electronics, software, mechanics and physics to master the challenges of building, maintaining, testing and installing the electronic systems required to measure the parameters of accelerated particle beams.
As an Electronics Engineer specialising in Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) design your main task will be to develop, test and maintain the FPGA firmware for beam instrumentation systems. You will be involved in projects processing low level signals recovered from the particle beams and will actively participate in the redesign of the electronic interfaces for the instrumentation of the experimental beam areas. You will also take part in the operational optimisation and maintenance of existing measurement systems throughout the CERN accelerator complex.
As an Electronics Engineer you will:
- Design digital acquisition electronics, based on field programmable logic-based devices (FPGA).
- Design and test front-end acquisition electronics systems operating in the low signal level regime.
- Test, install, commission and maintain electronic acquisition systems throughout the CERN accelerator complex.
- Optimise the performance of these instruments in partnership with the CERN Operations Group.
- Collaborate with both internal and external partners.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electronics engineering, or a related field.
This post requires a demonstrated experience in the field of electronics engineering with emphasis on the design of digital electronics using field programmable logic-based devices (FPGA).
- Design and simulation of FPGA-based electronics.
- Design and simulation of analog and digital electronic circuits.
- Testing and measurement of analogue and digital electronic circuits.
- Commissioning, operation and maintenance of electronic systems.
- Achieving results: following through on new ideas and innovations; planning and implementing application; driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating openness to new ideas and situations; being willing to work on different projects simultaneously.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; finding the information needed to solve problems; making objective judgments based on all the facts available.
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://home.cern/about/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 28.11.2018
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation controlled Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: BE-BI-EA-2018-113-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electronics Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further