Administrative Assistant (EP-AGS-UO-2018-105-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
As an Administrative Assistant, you will join the Experimental Physics Department (EP), Administration and General Services Group (AGS), Users' Office Section (UO: http://usersoffice.web.cern.ch/).
The EP Department carries out research in the field of experimental particle physics, which is CERN's fundamental mission. It aims at providing a stimulating scientific atmosphere and remains an important reference centre for the European physics community. It contributes to the education and training of young scientists. It hosts CERN staff members as well as CERN's associated guest scientists.
As Administrative Assistant in the Users' Office, you will take part in the general customer service provided for CERN's guest scientists and share in a team the daily tasks of registration, establishment of personnel contracts and interfacing with visiting scientists. You will closely be collaborating with the Section Leader and the Head of Users Support.
These tasks include face-to-face contact with people, registration via electronic tools, response to email and telephone requests and other administrative services.
By applying relevant CERN rules and procedures, you will:
- Provide information and assistance to CERN' s guest scientists notably to register them and facilitate their integration upon arrival.
- Ensure the processing, follow up, and control of various administrative electronic and paper documents as well as records archiving.
- Enter all relevant information into appropriate CERN databases.
- Prepare correspondence and documentation according to requirements, including minutes writing.
- Replace other team members in their absence.
Technical certificate or general secondary education in the field of administration or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in administrative service(s) or secretariat(s); preferably including service provision to a large community of customers coming from various countries.
- Demonstrated experience in the interpretation of rules and procedures as well as in their application.
- Demonstrated experience in using a diverse set of modern office computing tools and in maintaining and archiving data and documents.
- Demonstrated experience in coordinating the operational activities of a team.
- Customer service.
- Archiving and records management.
- Secretarial work: good knowledge of administrative tasks.
- CERN protocol standards: basic courtesy rules and etiquette.
- Use of Office software packages.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind; delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs; delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Building relationships: relating well to all people regardless of race, religion, sex or sexual orientation; showing courtesy and consideration in dealings with others.
- Working in teams: contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues; understanding when teamwork is required to achieve the best results; including others accordingly and sharing information; seeking to help other team members when own work is done; supporting others.
- Communicating effectively: checking to ensure that the message has been well understood; listening actively to others and letting others speak; ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements; being able to demonstrate flexibility whilst abiding by all applicable rules.
- Spoken and written English and French: ability to understand and speak both languages in professional contexts, as well as the ability to draft/prepare accurate texts in both languages.
- The knowledge of other languages would be a strong asset.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://home.cern/about/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 05.11.2018.
Contract type: limited duration contract (2 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: EP-AGS-UO-2018-105-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Personal/Team Assistant
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further.