AI Programmer - PROC GEN
- Boston, MA, USA
The Molasses Flood is a CD PROJEKT game development studio located in the greater Boston area. We were founded by industry veterans in 2014, and since then have created The Flame in the Flood and Drake Hollow. We’re currently working on an ambitious and exciting new project and are growing our team across all departments. We value every voice on the team, open communication and transparency, and run a studio based on mutual respect and kindness between all members and levels of the team. If this sounds like the type of team you’d like to be a part of, we encourage you to apply.
The Molasses Flood is looking for a PCG Programmer to help us evolve our in-house procedural content generation technology. As a small studio, we use PCG to punch way above our weight in terms of content creation, whether it is generating beautiful environments, challenging quests or engaging storylines. As a PCG programmer at The Molasses Flood, you will you will help us develop our foundational in-house PCG technology suite, which is at the core of all our titles. You will push the envelope for the variety and quality of content that can be algorithmically generated. At the same time, the systems you build will be fully transparent and usable by the artists and designers you work with, and will serve the ultimate goal of creating a great game and a great player experience.
At The Molasses Flood, we believe proceduralism represents a big part of the future of the games industry. Come help us change the way games are made!
This is a full-time salaried position at our office in the greater Boston area. Relocation assistance is available.
- Design, build out and maintain our foundational procedural systems, to be used on our upcoming game and many more after that.
- Design, build out and maintain a suite of authoring tools and pipelines, which allow designers and artists to build great content on top of your procedural systems.
- Follow the standards set by the technical director.
- Collaborate with everyone on the team in achieving the overall vision of the game
- Solicit and incorporate feedback from team members regarding existing systems.
- Candidates must have a US work permit or citizenship
- Programming experience: Competence with C++ or a similar language
- A get it done autonomous attitude: We value team members who are willing and able to self direct and take on a wide variety of tasks based on the need of the moment.
- Communication skills: the ability to express yourself clearly both verbally and in written documentation.
Nice to Haves
- Experience or familiarity with classic procedural techniques, such as noise functions, grammars, cellular automata or optimization techniques.
- Experience or familiarity with domain-specific scripting language design and implementation
- Experience or familiarity with offline procedural tools and pipelines such as World Machine or Houdini
- Experience or familiarity with machine-learning, statistics or classical AI techniques.
- UE4 or UE5 experience
- Commercial experience shipping anything, particularly on console or with the Unreal Engine. Prior trips to the rodeo certainly will make this one easier.
- Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, and 401k matching
- Flexible schedule: office days are Tuesday and Thursday. Remaining days are “work where you want” days
- Bonus plan
- Many opportunities for advancement as our team grows and takes on new challenges and multiple projects
The Molasses Flood is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embracing and celebrating diverse thoughts and backgrounds throughout our organization. Employment at The Molasses Flood is based on ability – not an individual’s race, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, status as a victim of domestic violence or sex offenses, reproductive health decisions, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.