Lead Narrative Designer
The Molasses Flood is a CD PROJEKT game development studio located in the greater Boston area. We were founded by industry veterans in 2014, and since then have created The Flame in the Flood and Drake Hollow. We’re currently working on an ambitious and exciting new project and are growing our team across all departments. We value every voice on the team, open communication and transparency, and run a studio based on mutual respect and kindness between all members and levels of the team. If this sounds like the type of team you’d like to be a part of, we encourage you to apply.
The Molasses Flood is looking for a Lead Narrative Designer to direct both the creative and technical aspects of storytelling within our next title. You will be the first member of a growing team and will have a unique opportunity to build a team, narrative, and the tools needed to support both. This is a leadership position, and will involve hiring and managing a team of writers as well as working across all disciplines to ensure that the narrative is running through all decisions around what we create. We’re entering an exciting new chapter in our development, and would love for you to help shape the way we grow!
This is a full-time salaried position at our office in the greater Boston area. Relocation assistance is available.
- Manage the writing and narrative processes both vertically within the narrative department and horizontally across all departments
- Design writing tools and pipelines in conjunction with engineering
- Oversee all aspects of the narrative process from developing the initial plot and delivery mechanisms to handling our localization pipeline
- Write the dang thing… we expect everyone including leads to be hands on within their respective field, using the tools, and leading by example
- Build style guides and best practices that can be used by the writing team and those who need to directly collaborate with them
- Coordinate writers and narrative designers both internally and externally in conjunction with production
- Candidates must have a US work permit or citizenship
- Experience in a lead writing or narrative role on a game
- The ability to communicate fluently with engineers around technical implementation of tools and pipelines
- Familiarity with dynamic or procedural narrative systems, and narrative tools such as Twine, Inform7, or Ink.
- Curiosity, kindness, and a genuine love of lifting up your team, mentoring, and creating a positive creative work environment for those around you
Nice to Haves
- Unreal Engine 4 experience
- Experience managing a team
- Experience with big, unwieldy, high word count, endless side content type games
- Experience with scripting or programming tools
- Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, and 401k matching
- Flexible schedule: office days are Tuesday and Thursday. Remaining days are “work where you want” days
- Bonus plan
- Many opportunities for advancement as our team grows and takes on new challenges and multiple projects
The Molasses Flood is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embracing and celebrating diverse thoughts and backgrounds throughout our organization. Employment at The Molasses Flood is based on ability – not an individual’s race, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, status as a victim of domestic violence or sex offenses, reproductive health decisions, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.