Lead Gameplay Programmer
- Boston, MA, USA
The Molasses Flood is a CD PROJEKT development studio located in the greater Boston area. We were founded by industry veterans in 2014, and since then have created The Flame in the Flood and Drake Hollow. We’re currently working on an ambitious and exciting new project and are growing our team across all departments. We value every voice on the team, open communication and transparency, and run a studio based on mutual respect and kindness between all members and levels of the team. If this sounds like the type of team you’d like to be a part of, we encourage you to apply.
The Molasses Flood is looking for a Lead Gameplay Programmer to guide our gameplay programming team on our next and future titles. You will have a unique opportunity to build out a team and establish the systems that empower our team to create great games. This is a leadership position, and will involve hiring and managing a team of programmers as well as working across all disciplines to ensure that the gameplay systems are meeting the needs of all stakeholders. We’re entering an exciting new chapter in our development, and would love for you to help shape the way we grow!
This is a full-time salaried position at our office in the greater Boston area. Relocation assistance is available.
- Be in charge of the success and happiness of the gameplay programming team.
- Mentor and coach the gameplay programmers.
- Be a primary hub for communication and information that other disciplines can come to for guidance.
- Ensure efficient and timely delivery of core gameplay features, and speak up when the team is not scoped properly.
- Distill high-level feature requests into meaningful, actionable tasks, and effectively delegate those to the team.
- Ensure that proposed technical approaches both satisfy stakeholders and preserve solid engineering fundamentals.
- Architect the systems needed to deliver gameplay features, and effectively communicate the high-level vision, assumptions, and constraints.
- Propose tools or technologies that could enhance the ability to deliver great gameplay systems support.
- Establish standards for what parts of gameplay systems should be developed in Unreal Engine 4 blueprint vs C++.
- Participate in writing code as well. The lead needs to have a direct understanding of the code and the challenges the team encounters.
- Candidates must have a US work permit or citizenship
- Experience developing and shipping games professionally.
- Experience leading a team.
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to be creative in finding solutions.
- Strong C++ skills and the ability to code and architect gameplay mechanics and tools.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-motivated, strong work ethic, and able to work independently.
Nice to Haves
- Experience working in Unreal Engine 4.
- Experience developing for consoles.
- Shipped a multiplayer game.
- Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, and 401k matching
- Flexible schedule: office days are Tuesday and Thursday. Remaining days are “work where you want” days
- Bonus plan
- Many opportunities for advancement as our team grows and takes on new challenges and multiple projects
The Molasses Flood is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embracing and celebrating diverse thoughts and backgrounds throughout our organization. Employment at The Molasses Flood is based on ability – not an individual’s race, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, status as a victim of domestic violence or sex offenses, reproductive health decisions, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.