Lead Environment Artist
- Boston, MA, USA
The Molasses Flood is a CD PROJEKT game development studio located in the greater Boston area. We were founded by industry veterans in 2014, and since then have created The Flame in the Flood and Drake Hollow. We’re currently working on an ambitious and exciting new project and are growing our team across all departments. We value every voice on the team, open communication and transparency, and run a studio based on mutual respect and kindness between all members and levels of the team. If this sounds like the type of team you’d like to be a part of, we encourage you to apply.
The Molasses Flood is looking for a Lead Environment Artist to oversee the modeling and texturing of stylized environment art for our next title. The Lead Environment Artist will have a solid understanding of current AAA-quality stylized art. They will be responsible for setting an example through exceptional 3D asset creation and leading the day to day operation of the Environment Team. They are expected to maintain quality and artistic consistency as defined by the Art Director.
This is a full-time salaried position at our office in the greater Boston area. Relocation assistance is available.
- Lead the development of the environment art pipeline for architecture, nature, and props to deliver high quality, competitive assets
- Manage day to day operations of the Environment Team: content reviews, establishing deliverables, and working as the direct manager of the members of the team
- Lead by example: Take direct ownership over the creation of some of the environment assets
- Mentor Environment Artists, help them grow and achieve their personal goals
- Maintain the art direction and the core vision of the game while keeping the Environment Team motivated, inspired, and productive
- Actively participate in technical and aesthetic problem solving discussions
- Monitor the needs of design and the other disciplines to ensure clean handoff for assets
- Candidates must have a US work permit or citizenship
- Experience shipping a game as a Senior or Lead Environment Artist
- Strong portfolio showing stylized high & low poly modeling, texturing, and shader skills that demonstrate a high level of artistic creativity and technical ability
- A high level of proficiency in tools for modeling (3dsMax, Maya, Blender, or equivalent), sculpting (Z-Brush, Mudbox or equivalent), and PBR texturing and materials (Photoshop, Substance Designer/Painter Marvelous Designer, or equivalents)
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to effectively coordinate with producers, programmers, designers, as well as artists
- Knowledgeable about current environment art trends, modeling and texturing technologies, tools pipelines, performance trade-offs, and interdepartmental dependencies
- A solid understanding of consistent environment art design
Nice to Haves
- Unreal Engine 4 Experience
- Strong foundation in traditional art
- Familiarity with current game console criteria and their limitations on memory and performance
- Experience leading teams
- Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, and 401k matching
- Flexible schedule: office days are Tuesday and Thursday. Remaining days are “work where you want” days
- Bonus plan
- Many opportunities for advancement as our team grows and takes on new challenges and multiple projects
The Molasses Flood is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embracing and celebrating diverse thoughts and backgrounds throughout our organization. Employment at The Molasses Flood is based on ability – not an individual’s race, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, status as a victim of domestic violence or sex offenses, reproductive health decisions, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.