Behavioral Health Specialist III/ *5K Sign-On Bonus*(LCSW, MHC-LP or LMHC only), Intensive Mobile Treatment (IMT) Team
- 151 Lawrence St, Brooklyn, NY 11201, USA
- Division: Behavioral Health Services
CASES is a New York City agency working at the forefront of the intersection between behavioral health and involvement in the criminal justice system. Our mission is to increase public safety through innovative services that reduce crime and incarceration, improve behavioral health, promote recovery and rehabilitation, and create opportunities for success in the community. The Behavioral Health division consists of a continuum of services for justice-involved individuals with serious mental illness, including outpatient clinic, health home care management (HHCM), assertive community treatment (ACT), and intensive mobile treatment (IMT).
IMT is a multi-disciplinary team of behavioral health professionals (e.g., psychiatric care providers, registered nurses, behavioral health specialists, peer support staff) who work with 27 clients identified by the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH) Single Point of Access (SPOA) who have frequent movement across the behavioral health care system (outpatient and inpatient), the housing system (shelter, street, supportive, and independent housing) and the criminal justice system (jail, probation, parole); existing underlying risk of violence and/or violent behavior; serious mental illness diagnosis; and/or a history of, or active use of, substances. IMT services include assessment and treatment planning, crisis intervention, medication management, medication assisted treatment, integrated mental health and substance abuse treatment, individual and group therapies, psycho-education, psychosocial and vocational rehabilitation, assistance with medical concerns and medication, linkage and follow-up assistance to primary medical care including on-going communication with primary care physicians, assistance with activities of daily living, assistance obtaining entitlements, housing procurement and support, linkage/coordination with the criminal justice system, and shelter system, and assistance in using family and community resources. The primary goal of IMT is engagement and improving clients’ quality of life through engagement in treatment, rehabilitation, housing and support services that promote wellness, recovery, community integration as well as community safety.
All applicants must comply with CASES/NYC's vaccination policy. Individuals selected for employment cannot begin working until they provide verification that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (with an FDA-authorized vaccine) or submit and gain approval for a Medical or Religious Exemption. Individuals approved for exemption must submit weekly PCR test results.
We believe that in-person operations are the best way to serve our clients, both directly and through essential operational support. This job requires work in our offices and/or in the community.
- Serve as Assistant Team Leader of the IMT team under the direction of the Team Leader
- Work with clients, families and/or significant others involved with the consumer to develop a person-centered treatment plan.
- Screen and assess clients for the treatment of co-occurring substance use disorders including through involvement in an interdisciplinary assessment.
- Advocate and liaise for clients within the criminal justice and shelter system.
- Assist clients in securing medical care, entitlement and other community supports that promote integrated physical and mental health, safety, wellbeing and recovery.
- Provide or connect clients with employment counseling, vocational rehabilitation, completion of housing applications and placement, and provision of life skills training.
- Provide individual counseling that includes principles of Integrated Dual Disorder Treatment, as appropriate.
- Complete progress notes and assessments in the electronic health record within a timely manner.
- Work with external stakeholders – such as hospitals, shelters, jails, primary care – to achieve positive client outcomes.
- Provide services in a strengths-based, recovery-oriented, trauma-informed, and culturally sensitive manner
- Active New York State license in Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) or Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC)
- At least two years of experience working with adults who have needs in the areas of mental health, substance use, trauma, violence risk, homelessness, frequent psychiatric hospitalizations, and criminal-justice involvement
- Prior supervisory experience desired
- Previous use of an electronic health record, Footholds AWARDS preferred
- Experience in a multidisciplinary setting and field-based clinical work preferred
- Fluency in Spanish a plus
- Strong commitment to social justice and the CASES mission
CASES is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment with CASES is based solely on qualifications and competence for a particular position, without regard to race, color, ethnic or national origin, age, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or marital, military, or citizenship status. We also actively recruit individuals with prior involvement in the criminal justice system. Your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines