Data Analyst I
- 151 Lawrence St, Brooklyn, NY 11201, USA
CASES is a New York City non-profit organization at the forefront of alternative to incarceration programs and comprehensive services for criminal justice-involved populations. If you are passionate about learning emerging data reporting techniques and take pride in your craft come join our team. CASES’ seeks a Data Analyst for the Data Reporting and Analysis unit. This individual needs to be a conscientious and organized problem solver, with the ability to understand program operations and contract reporting at a high-level. We need a team member willing to roll up their sleeves to build reporting solutions. Our ideal candidate is curious, highly skilled in Excel formulas and able to hustle to meet recurring weekly, monthly, and quarterly deadlines.
- The Data Analyst creates data reports and conducts analysis on the performance of our programs. The unit is responsible for data reporting and measurement of program operations for performance-based and cost reimbursement contracts. The Analysts create data reports to generate invoices and large reporting datasets for weekly, monthly, and quarterly reporting to government, and private funders, and for agency performance measurement.
- Develop expertise and competence in a customized Salesforce platform and as needed familiarity and competence with government databases to enter performance data and to extract data for analysis, build and configure large data files for invoicing and reporting
- Learn program contracts and develop data reports to analyze program performance and submit monthly and quarterly data reporting and billing
- Work collaboratively with Program Directors to identify missing, inaccurate, or otherwise problematic data and contribute to oversight procedures to monitor and track the timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of data
- Extract, format and transform data from agency databases into tables, figures, and charts, and data reports according to program contract management and set protocols for invoicing, financial projection analysis, and performance management
- Develop and present monthly and year-to-date program performance using Microsoft Excel spreadsheets, data visualizations, and provide trend analysis
- Develop and use protocols to identify problems with data entry, datasets and routine extraction processes, rectify issues, and systematize processes for efficient workflows in collaboration with information services and program staff
- Contribute to continuous quality and efficiency improvement to innovate and streamline ways to bring together data for timely, error-free invoicing back-up reports, and performance tracking, and data visualizations in seamless processes
- Review invoice backup data for contracts to ensure the data is reported accurately and that verifiable back-up documentation is available and maintained for audits
- Conduct regular data quality assurance checks to ensure accuracy of data reports produced and of the data in the database, following quality assurance protocols for random peer-to-peer review of analysis conducted by other analysts and reports before distribution internally and to government and funding agencies
- Produce analysis on key program and operational outcomes and drivers that influence year-over-year program performance to enhance agency understanding of underlying program issues, trends and performance to ease the use of data to inform program decision-makers
- Execute queries in databases to extract program datasets for analysis to respond to the needs of senior staff, program staff and external requests from funders, collaborators, policymakers, donors, and other stakeholders
- Communicate clearly and accurately in both verbal and written mode concisely describing problems, solutions, specifications and plans related to data reports
- Provide administrative support as needed—including taking meeting minutes, generating emails with meetings next steps, and following up on action steps
- Participate in program planning efforts by contributing insights about program data, to support the creation of outcomes and plans to track and report on benchmarks
- Manage special assignments that may include analytical support needed to assist in responses for proposals, foundation reports and fundraising
- Perform end user and application support functions including problem solving and resolution of Salesforce application function defects. Provide staff training and support.
- Create and facilitate a welcoming, pleasant and professional work environment to facilitate effective communication and working relationships between departments to support data driven decision-making
- Participate in activities to support new initiatives, stakeholder groups, planning and continuous quality improvement work-plans
- Perform duties in accordance with CASES’ mission, cultural competency, anti-discriminatory and other policies and procedures
- Any other duties as required by the Director and senior staff
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in mathematics, statistics, accounting, business administration, data science, economics, or related and relevant field
- Strong attention to detail and exemplary follow-up and follow-through
- Familiarity with relational database concepts
- Working knowledge of Salesforce is preferred
- Advanced knowledge with Excel data connections between Excel and other data sources, organizing data for pivot tables, v-lookups, and advanced excel formulas, BI tools, Get and Transform functionality
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office software including Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Be comfortable in situations where asked to participate in ways to innovate creation of new data sets
- Ability to work effectively with diverse teams and remain highly organized
- Ability to function in ambiguous environment
- Commitment to social justice
- Knowledge of NYC criminal justice system and alternatives to incarceration programs
Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
CASES is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment with CASES is based solely on qualifications and competence for a particular position, without regard to race, color, ethnic or national origin, age, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or marital, military, or citizenship status. We also actively recruit individuals with prior involvement in the criminal justice system.Your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.