Part Time HSE Teacher - 28 hours (Brooklyn)
- New York, NY, USA
The mission of CASES is to increase public safety through innovative services that reduce crime and incarceration, improve behavioral health, promote recovery and rehabilitation, and create opportunities for success in the community.
- We are committed to helping people—regardless of their past choices, present struggles, or future obstacles—to build the capacity and courage to change their lives.
- We tailor our services to each individual’s unique needs, risks, and strengths and believe the most effective programs are evidence-based, family-focused, and trauma-informed.
- We are committed to engaging the community by leveraging partnerships and resources to maximize our clients’ opportunities for success.
We recognize that each CASES staff member is critical. We are a team strengthened by our diversity of backgrounds, perspectives, and talents and united by a common purpose.
We are determined to continuously enhance our knowledge and skills, evaluate our results, and learn from our successes and failures.
Our impact on the community:
We believe public safety is best protected through alternatives to incarceration that combine accountability and support with empowerment and opportunity.
We are committed—through continuous innovation and the strategic disruption of ineffective responses to crime, addiction, and mental illness—to creating solutions for some of the city’s most difficult public safety and public health challenges.
Reports to: Director Education and Career Services, Brooklyn
Overview: The Center for Alternative Sentencing and Employment Services
CASES' youth programs aim to help New York City's justice-involved young people, ranging in age from 13-24, to lead productive, crime-free lives. Our approach is distinguished by individualized case management, evidence-based programming, and group activities that build positive peer associations. For many, this is the first time in their lives that they are participating in activities that help them set personal goals and develop the skills they need to reach them. As a result, hundreds of our youth participants have enrolled in secondary, post-secondary, and vocational institutions, acquired their High School Equivalency Diplomas, found unsubsidized employment, and ended their involvement in the justice system.
CASES’ youth programs operates an HSE Program for participants ages 17-24. Classes are held Monday through Thursday for Youth participants who qualify. We aim to provide young people who have been disconnected from education a chance to reconnect through creative and thoughtful lesson plans. We are looking for a teacher who is interested in creating an asset-based learning environment geared towards reengaging students in their education.
• Provide a safe learning environment for students filled with opportunities to demonstrate leadership and academic growth
• Teach both Math and Language Arts based classes for participants preparing to take the TASC
• Develop level-appropriate lesson plans in all subjects with the guidance of the Senior Teacher
• Maintain and enter attendance weekly and progress notes bi-weekly into the database
• Administer the STAR and TABE tests for new students
• Communicate orally and in writing with other staff about participants’ progress and challenges
• Provide tutoring to active participants and well as graduates as time allows
• Assist with Education referrals when participants near the end of their time with us
• Other duties as assigned by Director of Education and Career Services
Position entails a 28-hour work week. Applicants must be available 9:30 am-5:30 pm Monday - Thursday.
• Minimum of BA/BS degree, Masters in Education preferred;
• Demonstrated ability to engage, support, teach and motivate disconnected youth;
• Ability to work effectively with diverse group of clients and staff;
• Familiarity with all subjects on the TASC as well as Common Core Standards
• Willingness to participate in professional development
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Commitment to developing a safe learning environment
• Open to working in a collaborative environment
Benefits: Here at CASES we offer benefits that will assist you in making the most of your career and your life. Our programs include health and wellness insurance which is offered through Aetna. A retirement 403(b) plan is held with Principal, education, and training. Additionally, our portable ancillary benefits are offered through Aflac, Legal Shield, and ADP Flexible spending account; which is then deducted through payroll along with commuter benefits, additional short-term disability, cancer, additional income protection, hospitalization coverage, and identity theft protection.
In one document, attach your cover letter and resume in PDF or Word format. No phone calls please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
CASES is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment with CASES is based solely on qualifications and competence for a particular position, without regard to race, color, ethnic or national origin, age, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or marital, military, or citizenship status. We also actively recruit individuals with prior involvement in the criminal justice system.Your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.