BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR - REF: BDD/001/04/2020
- Muchai Drive, Nairobi, Muchai Drive, Kenya
Founded in 1945, CARE is a leading humanitarian and development organization fighting global poverty. CARE places special focus on working alongside women and girls because, equipped with the proper resources, they have the power to lift whole families and entire communities out of poverty. CARE commenced its humanitarian programme in Kenya in 1968. Since then we have built a substantial development and humanitarian program including refugee operations, emergency response, livelihoods, food security, climate change adaption, sexual reproductive and maternal health, women and girls’ economic empowerment, and youth employability.
CARE is committed to meeting international standards of quality and accountability when responding to emergencies. Responding to humanitarian crises means that CARE staff may potentially exercise significant power over stakeholders, particularly affected communities. To ensure that CARE earns the trust and respect of those we are serving, we need to be sure that we are being accountable to them. By improving accountability, we also improve the quality and performance of our response in meeting essential needs and to achieve greater impact. .
The Business Development Director is a member of the senior Management Team and will promote strategic relationships with donors, the CARE International (CI) Confederation, CSO partners and the Government of Kenya amongst others. The BDD will identify new donors, and will be expected to establish and maintain good relationships with relevant counterparts/departments of the government, CI members, the locally-represented multi/bi-lateral donors, foundations, international and national NGOs, CBOs and other civil society organizations. The BDD will identify and track relevant upcoming funding opportunities through advance intelligence gathering, strengthened partner relationships, and other available resources and advice the Senior Management team and other relevant CARE technical units on pursuit strategies. She/he will manage pre-solicitation proposal preparations and bid planning, teaming, bid strategy, development of win-themes, oversight of and contribution to technical design, drafting management and other sections of the proposal prior to the solicitation. The BDD will be responsible for establishing, managing and updating the Country funding pipeline and providing regular management reports to the Senior Management team.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
1) The Country Office is currently pursuing an aggressive resource mobilisation strategy and the Business Development Director will be responsible for identifying, tracking and capturing new business development opportunities for projects and programmes through advance intelligence gathering, partner relationships and inform the senior management team and other relevant CARE technical units.
2) The BDD will establish and promote strategic relationships with donors, CARE International (CI), CSO partners, the private sector and the Government of Kenya amongst others.
3) The BDD will capture innovative ideas from programme and project staff through regular programme meetings and open discussions and capture ideas from staff in the field on new BD.
4) The BDD will seek and foster new donors, be expected to liaise and maintain positive relations with current and new donors.
5) Develop and enhance relationships between the CO and other parts of CARE and external organizations so that CARE can maximize its impact on poverty and social justice.
6) Establish and maintain good relationships with relevant – counterparts/departments of the government, CI members, the locally-represented multi/bi-lateral donors, foundations, international and national NGOs, CBOs and other civil society organizations.
7) Identify issues to be addressed to heighten donor and government accountability and maintain a positive image and good visibility for CARE amongst these groups.
8) Manage pre-solicitation proposal preparations and bid planning, teaming, bid strategy, development of win- themes, oversight of and contribution to technical design, drafting management and other sections of the proposal prior to the solicitation.
9) Lead negotiation with funders to complete partnership agreements and participate in the process of developing internal MOUs to ensure alignment across all stakeholder groups.
10) Develop, manage and monitor systems and processes to ensure the overall success and efficiency of CAREs Business Development efforts in the region.
11) Coordinate learning and training in business development and proposal development for staff.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
Master’s degree in business management, international relations, international development, or related field.
EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES
• Minimum Five years in international development experience.
• Knowledge and experience in Business Development and fundraising concepts and practice with foreign aid and non-profit organizations.
• Demonstrated experience utilizing diverse, proactive strategies to competitively position his/her organization for new funding and productive institutional relationships.
• Demonstrated experience in leading strategic and operational planning
• Demonstrated leadership and management skills in a very complex international setting
• Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills
• Strong representation and negotiation skills
• Demonstrated use of positive coping strategies in stressful environments
• Demonstrated cross cultural communication skills
• Experience in successfully managing institutional partnerships with national and international NGOs
• Experience in establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships with donors and government counterparts.
• Demonstrated experience with proposal development with range of international donors (i.e. USAID, EU, ECHO, DFID, CIDA, UNHCR, WFP….)
The Business Development Director is one of the senior CARE representatives in Kenya and as such is responsible for problem solving at a variety of levels. S/he will need to be able to analyse and resolve situations as they arise on a variety of subjects ranging from identifying business opportunities to issues related to donor relations.
- CI Business Development leads
- CK Unit Heads
- Donor agencies, government ministries, private sector entities and other stakeholders.
The position is based in Nairobi but with regular visits/support to the Sub offices. Travel will constitute about 30% of the time.