ASSISTANT FINANCE OFFICER - REF: AFO/02/08/2019
- Muchai Drive, Nairobi, Kenya
Founded in 1945, CARE is a leading humanitarian and development organization fighting global poverty. CARE places special focus on working alongside women and girls because, equipped with the proper resources, they have the power to lift whole families and entire communities out of poverty. CARE commenced its humanitarian programme in Kenya in 1968. Since then we have built a substantial development and humanitarian program including refugee operations, emergency response, livelihoods, food security, climate change adaption, sexual reproductive and maternal health, women and girls’ economic empowerment, and youth employability.
JOB SUMMARY & PURPOSE:
As part of the finance team, the incumbent will post data into People soft accounting system, make payments (both cheque and cash), file & retrieve People soft transactions, issue cheques to suppliers, obtain receipts and attach to transactions, participate in banking operations, assist in preparing RCW payroll; and other duties allocated from time to time by the supervisor in ensuring financial functions are adequately provided to meet the project’s needs.
Tasks and responsibilities
R 1: Accounts payable functions
- Contact vendors for cheque collection while ensuring that a confirmation of receipt of payment is issued by the vendors.
- Ensure receipts are attached to vendor payment documents.
R 2: Receipting
- Receive money on behalf of the CARE Dadaab and issue receipts.
- Ensure Cash received is kept under key & lock and a secret combination in the safe.
- Summarize all the deposits and insert the coding details before banking is done.
- Ensure all the money received is banked and obtain deposit slips for each receipt.
- Attach the bank deposit slips to the respective People soft Transaction documents
- Update the cash book, cheque register book and receipt ledger with all receipts and payments.
- Maintain the current receipt book.
R3: Data Entry
- Enter data into people soft financial system on a daily basis.
- Ensure that documents for to be entered into people soft is fully approved before any data entry.
- Ensure the data imported or keyed into the system is accurate.
- Address any issues arising from review of system transactions before filing.
R4: Documents movement management (Filing, Archiving & Handling of Finance Documents)
- Receiving documents in finance
- Dispatching documents from finance
- Collecting/sending finance mails from/to mailroom
- Follow up on documents sent to Nairobi for approval or audit to ensure they are received back.
- Defacing paid and receipted documents
- Ensure all receipts done are supported with defaced banking slips.
- File newly generated people soft transactions while ensuring it’s done in an organized manner according to transaction series and financial year.
- Label transaction files according to transaction number series and financial years.
- Organize for archiving of old People soft transactions.
- Scan, retrieve and re-file People soft transactions during audits, procurement spot- check and partner verification by donors.
R5: Shared responsibilities
- Identify needs for items to be procured, serviced and advise the supervisor accordingly.
- Participate in the Incentive payroll preparation processes.
- Participate in banking operations.
- Make payments out of safe cash during the stipulated times of the week
- rack cash advances and ensure that they are liquidated within the allowed duration.
- Replenish Safe cash by retrieving safe cash withdrawal slips from all payment documents, prepare safe cash replenishment documents and obtain safe cash confirmation from safe cash signatory.
- Maintain an up-to-date safe cash file with safe cash records such as surprise cash counts, safe cash confirmations and authorized safe cash signatories.
- Send copies of safe cash documents (safe cash confirmation and surprise cash counts) to the Finance Manager by 10th of every month.
- rack withholding VAT and share with National Finance coordinator for processing in itax system.
- Track all retention fees and process payment when the defect liability period is over.
- Prepare payroll deductions list for Dadaab and share with the payroll accountant.
- Follow up with the payroll accountant to send back the list of actual deductions.
- Reconcile payroll deductions and prepare payments to the respective Kitchen welfares.
- Any other relevant duties allocated by the supervisor
1. Spending Authority: N/A
2. Supervision: N/A
3. Decision Making: Decisions are limited within the prescribed standards of the position.
CONTACTS/KEY RELATIONSHIPS (internal & external):
• Care Employees (National, International and Incentive).
• Other Agencies (IP’s)
• External clients- vendors etc.
1. Education: Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university, accounting option and with CPA II.
2. Experience: At least 3 years in a similar position with an NGO/INGO
a) Proficient in Microsoft suit,
b) Ability to use a financial system
c) Demonstrated computer skills
d) Ability to work as a team member to achieve the overall goals of the team.
e) Willing to work and live in difficult and demanding locations.
The position is based at Dadaab Main Office (DMO) with frequent movements to Ifo1, Hagadera and Dagahaley camps as well as any other extension camps and program sites. This is a non-family working station. Hot weather is prevalent throughout the year with limited basic amenities. Road movement to and from work station to Garissa as well as inter-camp movement must be under police escort (Scheduled convoys). Strict adherence to security instructions all the time. It is a six days work station with a compensatory time off according to CTO policy. The incumbent will be required to travel to Nairobi office and perform official responsibilities as will be required
The incumbent shall reside in the CARE compound while executing official duties and shall obey and adhere to residential compound regulations.