PROJECT MANAGER-REF: PM-23-5-2019(Siaya)
- 43864, Siaya, Siaya, Kenya
Founded in 1945, CARE is a leading humanitarian and development organization fighting global poverty. CARE places special focus on working alongside women and girls because, equipped with the proper resources, they have the power to lift whole families and entire communities out of poverty. CARE commenced its humanitarian programme in Kenya in 1968. Since then we have built a substantial development and humanitarian program including refugee operations, emergency response, livelihoods, food security, climate change adaption, sexual reproductive and maternal health, women and girls’ economic empowerment, and youth employability.
JOB SUMMARY & PURPOSE:
Reporting to the Financial Inclusion Sector Manager, the Project Manager will be responsible for strong project implementation for the Financial Literacy, Village Savings & Loans, Agri-Preneurship Trainings and Business Development Support Project in Bungoma, Kakamega & Siaya Counties. The aim of the Training Project is to train 4,000 small holder famers on financial literacy training; train 6,000 sweet potatoes famers on Village Savings and Loans Associations (VSLAs) to enable them start and run VSLAs; conduct Agri- preneurship training to 250 vine multipliers, 1375 sweet potatoes small holder famers and 125 managers in up and down stream enterprises along the Diary and Sweet potatoes value chain; and identify 200 commercial smallholders’ farmers for close mentorship and coaching in Agri- preneurship.
S/he will facilitate, coordinate and support Project staff, Community Based Trainers in building competence through training, coaching and demonstration where gaps are seen and as part of staff development. This role will be based in Siaya town with approximately 70% of time spent in field activities in the 3 Counties of project implementation : Bungoma, Kakamega and Siaya.
Project Operational, Management, Implementation Approach
The project will be oversighted by the Economic Empowerment Sector Manager who will provide supervision to the team and also will be the contact for GIZ. In addition the project will have technical guidance of a team from CARE County Office comprising of Director Women Economic Empowerment and Transformational Change, Program Quality and Accountability, Monitoring, Audit and Agricultural Experts. CARE will implement this project working with a team made up of a Project Manager who will be responsible for the day to day implementation of project activities. The Project Manager will be supported by one Project Officer and three field officers who will be based on Bungoma, Kakamega and Siaya. In addition the project will work with 24 Community Based Trainers drawn from the counties as follows:
On a day to day operational level, Project Manager will be reporting to the Financial Institution Sector Manager in the CARE Kenya County Office. The Project Manager will work closely work with the Financial Sector Program Coordinator and monitoring team.
Tasks and responsibilities
R 1: Project Management
- Planning, management, coordination of the Financial Literacy, Village Savings & Loans, Agri-Preneurship Trainings and Business Development Support project implementation process.
- Provide technical support to partners and field based project staff and Community Based Trainers to enable them meet the project goals, objectives and targets.
- Strengthen program linkages and foster good working relations with, Government representatives, community resource persons, private sector and civil society organizations.
- Ensure compliance with CARE performance management systems for self and supervisees.
- Supervision of 4 project staff – 1 Project Staff ; and 3 Field Officers.
- Manage efficient usages of project material and financial resources.
R2: Project Business Growth
- Develop key knowledge management products and disseminate client experiences for donor and government audiences.
- Support Women Voices & empowerment, inclusive governance; and policy dialogue and highlight results from the project.
R3: Project Monitoring, Evaluation and Documentation and Knowledge Management
- Compiles M&E reports of performance against set standards to demonstrate quality of interventions and share with internal and relevant external stakeholders.
- Takes leadership in identification and documentation of program successes and dissemination of lessons, best/promising practices within and externally.
R4: Representation and Coordination
- Enhance CARE’s visibility in County stakeholders meetings.
- Represent the sector and CARE in relevant strategic partnerships and policy engagements.
- Identify and sustain strategic partnerships, contacts and linkages to ensure effective programming.
- Any other relevant responsibility requested by line management
CONTACTS/KEY RELATIONSHIPS (internal & external):
Internally: All Sector and Project staff
Externally: Project stakeholders-Donors, GOK, other INGOs/NGOs, private sector – especially commercial financial institutions and input and service providers.
The Project Coordinator will operate from Siaya County with 70% field travels.
Other CARE-Kenya policies will be applicable.
Experience: At least 5 years’ experience in project management in the field of Financial empowerment, livelihoods Value Chains development and trainings.
- Bachelor degree in social science or other relevant area. Masters Degree is an added advantage.
- At least 5 years work experience in value chain development and/or Livelihoods programming
- A broad grasp of socio cultural economic issues with respect to poverty, savings, and enterprise development in rural settings
- Technical knowledge in market development approach
- Experience with working with county governments, civil society, donors and local communities
- Diplomacy, tact and negotiating skills
- Training/coaching/mentoring/ Facilitation skills
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills
- The ability to work independently, think innovatively and strategically and work effectively within a team
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Detailed understanding and experience of gender and diversity issues and commitment to addressing inequalities in all the key areas of responsibility
- Demonstrate high levels of initiative
- Flexibility in tasks undertaken
- Ability to work under pressure and deadlines
- Extensive knowledge of participatory approaches
- Understanding of development/relief issues
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and action
- Strong financial/budget management skills required
Job location and Working Conditions
This position will be based in Siaya town with extensive travel to the project sites within the County. Travel to the field will constitute approximately 70% of the working time.
Relevant County Government Ministries in Bungoma, Kakamega & Siaya Counties.
Deadline: 31st May, 2019.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Fixed contract ending November 2020.
Qualified female candidates highly encouraged to apply.
CARE is an equal opportunity employer and promotes gender equity. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.