Backend Developer (Java)
- Young St, London W8, UK
- Employees can work remotely
We’re looking for a Backend Developer (Java)
We’re looking for our first full time backend developer to join our founding team, building the world’s first dynamic packaging engine for flight-free holidays.
We’re fighting climate change by building the technology layer that will allow flight-free slow travel to scale post lockdown. Founded in March 2020, we’re a Pending B Corporation backed by Innovate UK and incredible investors. Revenues are surging, and we’re featured in press weekly, from Positive News to the Guardian. We’re a small, fast-moving and fast-growing team, so there’s huge potential for growth in this role and beyond. Your code will make a difference to our team and customers daily: your impact will be direct and visible. You’ll report directly to our CTO, Rich Levy, and work closely with our founder and CEO, Cat Jones.
We help people explore the world by travelling through it, not flying over it
We’re taking on climate change by building the first platform for flight-free holidays. Founded in March 2020, we’re backed by Innovate UK, and have raised £1.2M from incredible investors. Revenues are surging thanks to organic traction in press, from Positive News to the Guardian, and social helping us to spread the joy of journeying by train and boat, experiencing the lesser-known parts of the world instead of flying over them. We’re certified as a Pending B Corporation, which means we’re committed to building a business that’s a force for good. Join us to get our seamless and personal flight-free travel to a wider audience. Help to blaze a trail in sustainable, authentic and conscious travel!
- Build and develop our dynamic packaging technology for flight-free holidays
- Alongside an experienced team, architect, design and develop a large, complex and unique technical project (backed by Innovate UK)
- Work directly in our infrastructure layer, interacting with transport and accommodation providers and taking responsibility for third party API integrations
- Participate in the product development process from start to finish, from helping scope projects to measuring their success and iterating based on user feedback
What we’re looking for
- Significant experience writing high quality multi-threaded code in Java 8/11 using Spring Boot & JPA (or similar frameworks)
- Experience calling both JSON/REST and XML/SOAP APIs
- A strong mathematical and/or computer science background and passing familiarity with Travelling Salesman, Knapsack and similar computational problems
- A love for systems and an ability to think through and plan for their life cycles, edge cases, interactions, and failure modes
- An ability to balance speed of iteration and quality of code: we need to build fast without compromising reliability and usability
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to convert business requirements to code and explain complex concepts to the business
What would be great (but isn’t required)
- Experience with travel and hospitality systems and/or Postgres / GIS
- Experience of front-end development and/or DevOps and agile processes
What we offer
- £50-60k (depending on location and experience), stock options and 25 days holiday plus public holidays
- High specification laptop & tools, second screen, docking station and accessories
- Remote (work from anywhere) and flexible working with ~2 days/month in London
- Exposure to all parts of the business and countless opportunities for growth and development
- The opportunity to be part of our founding team
- Support and coaching from experienced leaders including the technical lead for Great Rail Journeys and Inntravel, and the founding CTO of Viator
Join a travel startup in 2021! Are you crazy?
Covid lockdowns saw a total shutdown of air travel and opened people’s eyes to the environmental bounce-back possible. At the same time, we’ve all had to slow down and reconnect with our local areas as never before. Emerging from lockdown, airport experiences, quarantines and long flights with strangers are prompting many to look to travel closer to home. 2021 is the year of the staycation and holidays away from the crowds, and our bookings are surging despite having spent nothing on marketing this year. This trend in flight-free travel is only growing year on year, as more people choose to value sustainability when planning their trips.
We’re committed to building a diverse culture and are eager to receive applications from all backgrounds. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination.
We come together in person monthly for a few days in London, and all team members, no matter how remote, will need to join us for a get-together at least quarterly.
This is a UK-based role, so please only apply if you have the right to work in the UK.