Deputy Director of Education and Instruction
- 25 Chapel St, Brooklyn, NY 11201, USA
For more than 129 years, the mission of BKS has been to provide children from families who are low-income with access to a high quality education in a nurturing environment – an environment that cultivates their curiosity and extends the skills they need to succeed well beyond school. As a matter of compassion, justice, and solid public policy, BKS believes that every child deserves the opportunity to fulfill their potential.
We also believe in a work and learning environment based upon mutual trust and collaboration. That spirit of trust extends from the Executive Director and Board of Directors through to the staff, teachers, children, and families of BKS, creating a sense of community and shared responsibility between all stakeholders.
Children at BKS receive full-day educational classes with age-appropriate, evidence-based curricula and enrichment programs such as Spanish language music class, dance, the visual arts, and soccer. Beyond educational excellence, BKS also provides family services and support throughout the year. Our Early Learn centers are open 12 months a year, 10 hours a day.
BKS early childhood learning centers are located in public housing in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Crown Heights, Brownsville, and Historic Weeksville Gardens. Each year our centers serve nearly 400 children and their families. New York City relies heavily on organizations like BKS to make wider access to early childhood education available through Pre-K For All and 3-K For All.
Seeking a mission-driven professional with a strong work ethic, proven ability to take initiative, multi-task, and establish strong collaborative relationships with colleagues and peers.
- Oversight and collaborate with coaches, center directors and teacher teams to develop cohesive, engaging, data driven, professional learning to increase teacher capacity and meet the needs of all students
- Experience of and with progressive teaching practices that provide social-emotional support, are developmentally appropriate, play-based and student centered.
- Supervise and support the implementation of Creative Curriculum and Department of Education Units of Study with fidelity.
- Collaborate, engage with and facilitate the work of Department of Early Childhood Education (DECE) staff and coaches.
- Engage in site specific, student-centered coaching of teachers to bridge professional learning into classroom practice and build capacity with instruction and inclusive practices.
- Supervise and mentor center directors and teachers providing guidance and feedback for Instructional Support, Classroom Environment and Teacher-Child interactions.
- Ongoing monitoring and feedback to center directors and teacher teams using observations, formal and informal data; Teaching Strategies Gold (TSG), CLASS assessments, and ECERS-R assessments.
- Valid NYS Permanent Certification
- Minimum of 3 years supervisory experience
- Minimum of 5 years of early childhood education experience
- 3.0 minimum cumulative undergraduate and graduate GPA
- Master’s degree in early childhood education or related field
- Experience working with low income populations and diverse cultures.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.