Government Affairs Director
- Department: Legal
At Brightspeed, we are reimagining how people live, work, play and connect by providing fast, reliable internet connections and an awesome customer experience in twenty states throughout the Midwest and South.
Backed by funds managed by Apollo Global Management, our vision is to accelerate the upgrade of copper to fiber optic technologies, bringing faster and more reliable internet service to many rural markets traditionally underserved by broadband providers, while delivering best-in-class customer experience.
Be a part of the team that will make this vision a reality….designing and building a world class fiber network and creating a customer experience second to none.
Brightspeed is looking for an outgoing, energetic professional who is capable to conveying complex information and ideas. In this role you will be responsible for developing and maintaining business relationships with key stakeholders, including state public utility commissions, broadband grant offices, and other state and local government officials, internal business teams, and local and state government customers in the states of Virginia, North Carolina and other states as required. You will be a key member of the regulatory team engaged with supporting legislative, regulatory, public policy, and compliance matters, and you will support Brightspeed public policy initiatives in the state or states to which assigned. As Government Affairs Director, you will play an important role in advocating the interests of the company, its customers, and its stakeholders before state and local governmental officials. You will also support Brightspeed’s business strategy, goals, and objectives through effective internal and external communications (including social media) that positively impact the company’s image and reputation. You will also assist with strategic planning and play a key role in developing the strategy, advocacy, and execution of the company’s broadband grant initiatives, including through county and state advocacy. As Government Affairs Director, you will support multiple states in a collaborative team environment under the supervision of the Director Government Affairs.
The preferred location for this position is in Virgina.
As Government Affairs Director, your duties will include:
- Responsible for regulatory, state legislative, and local government issues affecting Brightspeed and its customers in your assigned states
- Development and implementation of legislative strategies, monitoring legislation, and coordinating with local lobbyists and third-party organizations
- Cultivate and maintain strategic relationships with key public and government officials
- Ownership of relationships with state telecom and broadband industry associations and coalitions
- Proactive evaluation of proposed legislation and regulations, and working with legislative staff to draft proposed revisions
- Execute on the company’s strategic plan of maximizing broadband grant acquisition from various state and federal broadband grant programs
- Establish and maintain relationships with local chambers of commerce, economic development councils, and local community groups
- Meet regularly with mayors, city council members, county commissioners, administrators, and staff of key cities and counties to articulate the Company’s vision and plans and to obtain support for Brightspeed initiatives
- Act as principal contact for Brightspeed’s state Network Operations team on local government issues and resolution of constituent inquiries
- Coordinate with various departments within Brightspeed, such as real estate, engineering, regulatory operations, and legal on local and state government issues
- Support and advance the goals of local go-to-market programs
- Resolve right-of-way, permitting, pole attachment/joint use and similar issues with states, counties, and cities and third parties
- Coordinate with Brightspeed Corporate Communications on proactive and reactive public messaging
WHAT IT TAKES TO CATCH OUR EYE:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or the equivalent in relevant training or experience
- 10+ years of experience in a state/local government affairs or state regulatory/legislative affairs environment
- Must demonstrate a high degree of personal and professional integrity due to the nature of information involved and the public visibility of this position
- Comfortable with an ever-changing technology and industry landscape
- You enjoy working independently as well as with cross functional teams, and you exhibit energy, intelligence, and a drive for success
- Strong problem-solving, partnership, and collaboration skills
- Strong verbal and written communications skills and analytical abilities
- Extensive portfolio of relationships across state and local government
BONUS POINTS FOR:
- Experience in the wireline communications industry
- Knowledge of, and experience working on, federal, state, local, broadband, and telecommunications issues
- Public policy/compliance implementation experience
- Juris Doctorate or master’s degree in a relevant field
- 15+ years of experience in a state government and/or local government affairs environment
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
WHY JOIN US?
We aspire to contemporary ways of working.
We are committed to being a leader in defining a new way to work because we recognize the changing mindset of today's workforce. We have a brand new, state-of-the-art corporate HQ in Charlotte, NC and our current priority is to make it a truly vibrant destination by hiring talent in the greater Charlotte area. Why? Because our purpose is to reimagine how people work, learn, play and connect!
We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits.
Our benefits and paid time off programs reflect our underlying belief in promoting overall wellness through physical, emotional and financial health. We are committed to building a team as diverse as the customers we serve.
Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the center of our grounding belief in Being Real.
When we bring our authentic selves to work, everyone is better as a result. A diverse team helps us be fierce advocates for more accessible, inclusive and high-quality internet, because we believe doing so promotes equity in the communities we serve.
Brightspeed is an Equal Opportunity Employer
For all applicants, please take a moment to review our Privacy Notices: