Privacy & Cybersecurity Counsel
- Department: Legal
At Brightspeed, we are reimagining how people live, work, play and connect by providing fast, reliable internet connections and an awesome customer experience in twenty states throughout the Midwest and South.
Backed by funds managed by Apollo Global Management, our vision is to accelerate the upgrade of copper to fiber optic technologies, bringing faster and more reliable internet service to many rural markets traditionally underserved by broadband providers, while delivering best-in-class customer experience.
Be a part of the team that will make this vision a reality….designing and building a world class fiber network and creating a customer experience second to none.
We are looking for a Privacy & Cybersecurity Counsel to join our innovative and growing legal team! You will report to the Chief Privacy Officer and VP, Privacy and Cybersecurity, and serve as a key member of the Privacy team. You will also collaborate with colleagues in the legal department and across the company to ensure that legal risks are understood, communicated, and mitigated effectively. We are looking for someone who is analytical, detail-oriented, and great at quickly applying legal expertise and business acumen to solve problems and manage complex and novel issues across federal and state legal and regulatory landscapes while exercising solid judgment.
As Privacy & Cybersecurity Counsel , your duties and responsibilities will include:
- Serve as a subject matter expert on all aspects of privacy, data security, and cybersecurity
- Advise business, product, transactional, procurement and marketing teams on the application of federal and state privacy laws and regulations to business operations; provide counsel on privacy, and cybersecurity matters in a manner consistent with applicable law, company policies and procedures
- Review, revise, and negotiate transactional agreements and data privacy agreements
- Monitor the regulatory landscape, such as FTC and FCC rulemakings and pertinent telecom and privacy laws and regulations, to stay apprised of important developments and political changes that could inform our policies and procedures
- Support the incident response strategy and collaborate with Information Technology and Information Security teams to respond to incidents, advise on breach determination and notification requirements and processes under applicable federal and state breach laws
- Develop and implement internal/external privacy notices, policies, procedures, and training
- Assist with administration of data privacy impact assessments, other privacy by design initiatives or special projects, as assigned
WHAT IT TAKES TO CATCH OUR EYE:
- A law degree from an accredited law school and five (5) or more years of relevant experience
- Bar membership
- Knowledge of US and state privacy laws such as the Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act, the Health Information Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI) regulations, Payment Card Information (PCI) rules and regulations, CCPA, CPRA, and the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA)
- Knowledge of online and offline advertising and marketing rules and regulations, such as state consumer protection statutes, CAN-SPAM, Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), Telemarketing Sales Rules (TSR), and FTC marketing guidelines
- Strong research, writing and communication skills
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with all levels of personnel
BONUS POINTS FOR:
- Privacy certifications (e.g., CIPP/US, CIPM, etc.)
- Experience in the telecommunications industry
- Familiarization with One Trust or similar privacy technology platforms.
- Experience with GDPR, other state and federal privacy laws and regulations
WHY JOIN US?
We aspire to contemporary ways of working.
We are committed to being a leader in defining a new way to work because we recognize the changing mindset of today's workforce. We are opening a new, state-of-the-art corporate HQ in Charlotte, NC and our current priority is to make it a truly vibrant destination by hiring talent in the greater Charlotte area who are interested in a hybrid remote/office work arrangement. As always, however, we are also open to providing sensible remote options to talent outside of the Charlotte area. Why? Because our purpose is to reimagine how people work, learn, play and connect!
We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits.
Our benefits and paid time off programs reflect our underlying belief in promoting overall wellness through physical, emotional and financial health. We are committed to building a team as diverse as the customers we serve.
Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the center of our grounding belief in Being Real.
When we bring our authentic selves to work, everyone is better as a result. A diverse team helps us be fierce advocates for more accessible, inclusive and high-quality internet, because we believe doing so promotes equity in the communities we serve.
Brightspeed is an Equal Opportunity Employer