Senior Federal Regulatory Counsel
- Department: Legal
At Brightspeed, we are reimagining how people live, work, play and connect by providing fast, reliable internet connections and an awesome customer experience in twenty states throughout the Midwest and South.
Backed by funds managed by Apollo Global Management, our vision is to accelerate the upgrade of copper to fiber optic technologies, bringing faster and more reliable internet service to many rural markets traditionally underserved by broadband providers, while delivering best-in-class customer experience.
Be a part of the team that will make this vision a reality….designing and building a world class fiber network and creating a customer experience second to none.
The Senior Federal Regulatory Counsel is responsible for developing and advocating Brightspeed’s federal regulatory policies, supporting the company’s FCC compliance program, drafting and filing matters before the FCC, engaging in federal advocacy, and managing external stakeholder relationships in Washington. In this role, you will provide expert advice on legal and regulatory issues impacting the business with a focus on issues involving FCC policymaking and regulatory compliance, fiber broadband grant programs, Universal Service and Lifeline programs, and other key federal regulatory issues. You will serve as a trusted advisor and partner to all parts of the business that are impacted by FCC rules, regulations, and policies. You will also serve as the lead for the Legal Department in responding to, and complying with, FCC notices of inquiry, programs, and reforms. You will collaborate effectively with colleagues within the Legal Department and across the company to ensure that legal risks are understood, communicated, and mitigated effectively. You will have strong judgment and a demonstrated ability to manage complex and novel issues related to the delivery of wireline telecommunications services. As a demonstrated strong communicator, you will deliver complex and often sensitive messages clearly and persuasively to regulators, government stakeholders in Washington, and technical and business audiences. You enjoy working independently as well as with cross functional teams, and you exhibit energy, intelligence, and a drive for success. You’re analytical, detail-oriented, and great at quickly applying your expertise and business acumen to solve challenging problems while exercising solid judgment processes.
As Senior Federal Regulatory Counsel, your duties will include:
- Develop, draft, and file Brightspeed’s position on federal regulatory, legislative, and public policy matters
- Develop and execute on the company’s advocacy plans with key stakeholders at the FCC, in Congress, and at the Administration on telecommunications and other legal and regulatory issues facing Brightspeed at the federal level
- Provide expert legal advice and counsel on federal regulatory issues and policy as well as political law issues including lobbying and gift law compliance
- Proactively identify and mitigate areas of risk or reputational damage
- Represent Brightspeed in regulatory proceedings at the FCC and before other federal agencies and Congress, as well as with industry organizations
- Plan, develop, and communicate key messages and strategic initiatives to government stakeholders across the FCC, Congress, and the Administration
- Identify key stakeholders, facilitates stakeholder meetings and interactions, and maintains strong professional relationships with FCC, Congressional, Administration staff
- Develop federal telecommunication strategies on key issues affecting the business
- Interact with outside counsel, consultancies, and industry groups to develop and implement federal strategies
- Possess substantial experience in federal wireline regulation on key topics such as:
- Title II regulation
- Universal Service Fund, Affordable Connectivity Program and Lifeline
- Broadband regulation and policy
- Consumer protection laws and regulation
- Competition law and regulation
- Federal reporting requirements, generally
- Network outage and other FCC reporting
- Emergency 911 service and reporting
- Robocalling and consumer protection regulation
- Monitor FCC rulemakings, rules, and other telecom laws and regulations and keeps company management apprised of important developments
- Draft executive summaries for company leadership
- Ensure the company’s compliance with applicable regulatory reporting and other requirements
- Advise business, product, transactional, and marketing teams on the application of federal law and regulation to business operations
- Support company efforts to obtain and maintain regulatory licenses and authorizations and ensures ongoing regulatory compliance
- Stay informed about telecommunications industry legislative, regulatory, policy, and political changes to help ensure appropriate risk management or mitigation strategies are maintained
WHAT IT TAKES TO CATCH OUR EYE:
- JD degree and 7+ years of relevant work experience
- Five or more years of legal experience with a law firm, government agency, and/or in-house role
- FCC legal or staff experience or extensive experience interacting with the FCC required
- Experience in the wireline communications industry
- Strong written and verbal skills, including FCC brief writing, are essential
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with all levels of personnel and to enforce legal requirements
- Bar membership and needed licenses
BONUS POINTS FOR:
- Experience working with Congressional and/or White House staffs
- Experience working with state public utility commissions and staff
- Knowledge of Privacy, CALEA, and/or cybersecurity rules and regulations
WHY JOIN US?
We aspire to contemporary ways of working.
We are committed to being a leader in defining a new way to work because we recognize the changing mindset of today's workforce. We are opening a new, state-of-the-art corporate HQ in Charlotte, NC and our current priority is to make it a truly vibrant destination by hiring talent in the greater Charlotte area who are interested in a hybrid remote/office work arrangement. As always, however, we are also open to providing sensible remote options to talent outside of the Charlotte area. Why? Because our purpose is to reimagine how people work, learn, play and connect!
We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits.
Our benefits and paid time off programs reflect our underlying belief in promoting overall wellness through physical, emotional and financial health. We are committed to building a team as diverse as the customers we serve.
Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the center of our grounding belief in Being Real.
When we bring our authentic selves to work, everyone is better as a result. A diverse team helps us be fierce advocates for more accessible, inclusive and high-quality internet, because we believe doing so promotes equity in the communities we serve.
Brightspeed is an Equal Opportunity Employer