Senior Privacy, Compliance and Regulatory Counsel
- Charlotte, NC, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Department: Legal
At Brightspeed, we are reimagining how people live, work, play and connect by providing fast, reliable internet connections and an awesome customer experience in twenty states throughout the Midwest and South.
Backed by funds managed by Apollo Global Management, our vision is to accelerate the upgrade of copper to fiber optic technologies, bringing faster and more reliable internet service to many rural markets traditionally underserved by broadband providers, while delivering best-in-class customer experience.
Be a part of the team that will make this vision a reality….designing and building a world class fiber network and creating a customer experience second to none.
The Senior Privacy, Compliance and Regulatory Counsel is the Company’s chief legal counsel responsible for advising the company’s C-level executives and business teams on a wide variety of legal and regulatory matters, including privacy, compliance, and federal and state regulation. As Senior Privacy, Compliance and Regulatory Counsel, you will report directly to the Chief Compliance Officer. You will serve as a key member of the privacy and compliance teams to help develop and execute on strategies and programs to help ensure the company’s compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The position represents Brightspeed before the FCC, FTC, and state PUCs, and serves as a trusted legal advisor to all parts of the business on privacy, compliance, and regulatory matters. You will collaborate effectively with colleagues within the legal department and across the company to ensure that legal and regulatory risks are understood, communicated, and mitigated effectively. You will be required to have seasoned judgment and a demonstrated ability to manage complex and novel issues across federal and state legal and regulatory landscapes.
As Senior Privacy, Compliance and Regulatory Counsel, your duties will include:
- Worksclosely with Brightspeed’s Chief Privacy Officer (CPO), Chief Compliance Officer, Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) to provide legal support for the company’s overall privacy, corporate, and cybersecurity compliance programs
- Develop, draft, and represent Brightspeed on regulatory, legislative, and public policy matters before the FCC, FTC, and state public utility commissions
- Support the CPO in conducting reviews of the company’s privacy program to ensure it reflects changes in laws, regulatory, and company policy
- Provide advice and counsel to senior leadership and internal clients on privacy and IT security matters affecting the company
- Ensure Brightspeed’s data and privacy programs and projects operate in a manner consistent with applicable law and company privacy and data security goals and policies
- Develop and oversee a risk management and compliance framework for privacy and corporate compliance that meets or exceeds industry practices and standards
- Interact with key stakeholders inside and outside the company on privacy and governance, risk, and compliance (GRC) policies, enforcement, and advocacy
- Interact regularly with in-house regulatory and compliance teams and outside counsel
- Proactively identify and mitigate areas of risk or reputational damage in the privacy, GRC, and regulatory areas
- Help plan, develop, and communicate key messages and initiatives to government stakeholders across the FCC, the Administration, and state PUCs
- Interact with outside counsel, consultancies, and industry groups to develop and implement business and regulatory strategies
- Monitor FCC rulemakings, rules, and pertinent telecom and privacy laws and regulations and keeps company management apprised of important developments
- Draft executive summaries for company leadership.
- Advise business, product, transactional, and marketing teams on the application of federal and state privacy law and regulation to business operations
- Support company efforts to obtain and maintain regulatory licenses and authorizations and ensures ongoing regulatory compliance
- Stay informed about industry legislative, regulatory, policy, and political changes to help ensure appropriate risk management or mitigation strategies are maintained
WHAT IT TAKES TO CATCH OUR EYE:
- As a demonstrated senior advisor and strong communicator, you will deliver complex and often sensitive messages clearly and persuasively to regulators, government stakeholders in Washington and in the States, and technical and business audiences. You enjoy working independently as well as with cross functional teams, and you exhibit energy, intelligence, and a drive for success. You’re analytical, detail-oriented, and great at quickly applying your legal expertise and business acumen to solve challenging problems while exercising solid judgment processes.
- JD degree and ten (10) or more years of relevant work experience
- 4+ of legal experience with a law firm and/or in-house
- FCC or FTC legal or staff experience or experience interacting with the FCC, FTC and/or state PUCs is preferred
- Privacy certifications (e.g., CHPS, CIPP/US, CIPM, etc.) are a plus
- Experience in the wireline communications industry
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with all levels of personnel and to describe and enforce legal requirements
- Bar membership and needed licenses
BONUS POINTS FOR:
- Knowledge of additional privacy laws, e.g., Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI), the Health Information Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act (GINA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Experience working with cyber security and law enforcement issues and applicable federal and state agencies
WHY JOIN US?
We aspire to contemporary ways of working.
We are committed to being a leader in defining a new way to work because we recognize the changing mindset of today's workforce. We meet you where you are...wherever you are, by providing sensible remote and hybrid work arrangements. Why? Because our purpose is to reimagine how people work, learn, play and connect!
We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits.
Our benefits and paid time off programs reflect our underlying belief in promoting overall wellness through physical, emotional and financial health. We are committed to building a team as diverse as the customers we serve.
Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the center of our grounding belief in Being Real.
When we bring our authentic selves to work, everyone is better as a result. A diverse team helps us be fierce advocates for more accessible, inclusive and high-quality internet, because we believe doing so promotes equity in the communities we serve.
Brightspeed is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please be advised that Brightspeed (Connect Holding LLC) requires its employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to the Company’s legal obligations including potentially accommodating an employee’s sincerely held religious beliefs or medical condition.