Internship / working student: Rust integration into ROS2 (f/m/div.) - partly remote
- Legal Entity: ITK Engineering GmbH
Anything goes, from embedded systems to cloud computing and artificial intelligence – ITK Engineering, a global tech company, draws on methods-driven expertise to provide platform-independent software and system development services. With around 1,300 employees, the company is an innovative force in digital engineering and has been a wholly owned subsidiary of Robert Bosch GmbH since 2017.
We are shaping tomorrow’s digital future with our passion for technology and turn visions into reality. Become a part of it!
Apply now at ITK Engineering GmbH and look forward to exciting challenges and an inspiring work environment.
ROS2 is the de facto standard framework in robotics research and Rust is the "new rising star of programming languages". More and more robotic applications are transitioning from research to actual product status.
As Rust has some interesting features especially regarding safety and ROS2 already has rust bindings in development, this student project has the goal to explore how well does Rust interact with the ROS2 ecosystem, especially using the ROS2-Rust-bindings and whether it is applicable for commercial use or not.
Tasks that shall be worked on:
- You try to build ROS2 Rust projects with colcon - Attempt to run ROS Rust nodes using the ros2launch system.
- You find out, if ROS2 Rust nodes support the ROS2 parameter handling including dynamic reconfiguration.
- You identify special requirements for ros2-rust or find out if all RMW implementations can be used.
- You test, if those client libraries are realtime capable and if it does involve dynamic allocations and if so, can they be avoided?
- You compare available client libraries.
As part of this project one (or many) robotic application shall be implemented to demonstrate the capabilities of those Rust-based ROS2 client libraries.
- Personality and working method: team player with good communication skills, structured and solution oriented way of working combined with high quality awareness and independence
- Experience and Know-How: basic knowledge in the area of embedded software development using C/C++, experience with programming using Rust and about the general process of binary code generation beneficial
- Education: studies in the field of computer science or comparable field of study
- Languages: very good knowledge of German or English
Beginning: immediately / by arrangement
Duration: at least 6 months
We, ITK Engineering GmbH, provide you with professional flexibility. Talk to us in a first meeting about the possibilities of flexible and mobile working.
The diversity of our employees is important to us and we promote a diverse working environment. Our daily ITK work life also includes the exchange at eye level, constant learning and a great amount of team spirit. Find out more about our benefits and ITK culture.
Do you have questions about the application process?