Software / Firmware Development Manager (hybrid)
- Legal Entity: Bosch Security Systems Inc.
The Communications Systems Division of Bosch Security Systems is headquartered in Burnsville, Minnesota. Our product segments include Critical Communications Systems, Pro Sound, and Public Address & Conferencing. With our premium brands: Bosch, Dynacord, Electro-Voice, RTS and Telex, we provide solutions that reflect our brand values for audio quality, and innovation. The company’s broad portfolio of products and systems are used by government agencies, hospitals, critical infrastructure facilities, broadcast TV stations, cable head end stations, electronic media campuses, mobile sports production truck companies and in many other commercial and industrial environments throughout the country.
Are you an Engineer Manager with a background in software/firmware development? Check out this exciting opportunity with Bosch! Based in our Burnsville, MN location, the Software/Firmware Development Manager will manage a team of engineers, as well as lead software / firmware development for products, test operations, process improvements, and software tool management for complex electronics hardware and systems used for critical audio communications. Our focus is Intercom products which are used in broadcast media production, theaters, house of worship, and other industrial uses such as transportation, energy production, and space flight.
As a Software/Firmware Development Manager, you will:
- Develops products for the Intercoms Product Line, focusing on software and firmware deliverables
- Collaborates with the Business to develop and document product requirements, balance competing needs of priorities, manufacturing improvements, and process improvements.
- Provide software and real-time firmware development and testing leadership for a multi-site team for complex audio products
- Manages software and firmware continuation / maintenance activities
- Plans, organizes, coordinates, and manages overall activities of technical development and the development team
- Provides technical leadership as to the deployment of software / firmware development and test technologies
- Provides strong technical oversight, guided by experience, to ensure individual project accomplishments and overall team effectiveness is achieved relative to committed objectives, articulating commitments, and takes accountability for the actions of the team
- Understands and articulates development risks for products, actively managing and mitigating risks
- Provides technology vision, strategy, and Business management oversight; innovations and technological advances that improve quality, reduce efficiency, and improve productivity Champions initiatives to improve critical process and technology related issues, focusing on embedded firmware / software to integrate with hardware solutions to support Business goals
- Develop and implement tool chains and pipelines to facilitate quality and efficiency of development activities
- Cultivates career development of staff members through coaching, training, performance evaluations and challenging job assignments; maintain technical competence and leadership, and establish management succession
- Measures performance of team and critically analyzes the development and test needs of the team and processes
- Exhibits strong customer interface skills and responsiveness to meet customer needs
- Meets with customers and articulates technical solutions to issues and technical development activities in conjunction with Business and Engineering Leadership
- Participates in product roadmap and resource scheduling discussions in Product Management
- Develops and implements staffing plans, budget proposals, and equipment / software tool requirements consistent with anticipated workloads
- Monitors and controls expenses as needed for software activities
- Adheres to and advocates for the Bosch Product Engineering Process
- BS (MS Preferred) in Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering, plus a minimum of 12 years of experience or equivalent blend of education and experience in software development
- MS in Management of Technology or an equivalent Technology-MBA degree preferred
- Broad technological expertise - comprehension and awareness of the latest technologies and the ability to maximize the impact of technology in appropriate discipline areas
- Preferred experience in complex high-speed digital and audio products
- Extensive knowledge in software / firmware development, pipeline management tools, and test automation / management
- Significant experience and knowledge of Agile development methodologies and deployment strategies
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent mathematical and analytical skills and working knowledge of signal processing is desired
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally on engineering projects
- Demonstrated experience in the development of complex products which include electrical, mechanical, software/firmware
- Strong knowledge of C, C++, Python, Linux, DevOps or GitLab Environment
- Preferred knowledge of HTML, Cloud Computing, QT
- At least 5 years successfully managing a team of developers in complex, real-time, software / firmware development
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 5%
- Requires US Citizenship due to high security customer and/or government facility requirements
- Knowledge of quality systems concepts and tools and their applications is helpful (DfT and DoE methodologies)
- Expertise with system issues relating to product design; EMI, ESD mitigation, grounding techniques, stray capacitance, distortion, and noise mitigation
- Expertise in designing products for international safety and EMC requirements
- Must possess good communication skills and strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work in and lead a cross functional team as well as working with customers
- Ability to perform code and process reviews
- Ability to present complex concepts in a clear non-technical manner, making the complex, simple
- Strong analytical and negotiating skills
- Proven leadership skills
- Must be self-motivated, high energy and have a desire for team building
- Normal office environment with the ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- By choice, we are committed to a diverse workforce - EOE/Protected Veteran/Disabled.
- BOSCH is a proud supporter of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics) Initiatives: FIRST Robotics (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) & AWIM (A World In Motion)
- Indefinite U.S. work authorized individuals only. Future sponsorship for work authorization is not available.