PhD – Hybrid AI for Industry 4.0: Search and Summarization of Ontologies and Knowledge Graphs
- Robert-Bosch-Campus 1, 71272 Renningen, Germany
- Legal Entity: Robert Bosch GmbH
At Bosch, we shape the future by inventing high-quality technologies and services that spark enthusiasm and enrich people’s lives. Our promise to our associates is rock-solid: we grow together, we enjoy our work, and we inspire each other. Join in and feel the difference.
The Robert Bosch GmbH is looking forward to your application!
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is one of the central pillars of Industry 4.0 and Internet of Things in the global trend towards smart and highly-digitalized factories. An important approach here is to use symbolic AI, including ontologies or semantic Digital Twins, to represent experts’ knowledge, physical equipment and processes as unified conceptual Semantic Models. They in turn allow to integrate heterogeneous industrial data as uniform Knowledge Graphs. On top of ontologies and Knowledge Graphs, one can develop a wide range of AI solutions for production simulation, process monitoring, analytics and optimization. This can be achieved by combining symbolic reasoning and numeric AI methods, like Machine Learning, in hybrid AI solutions. Bosch Center for AI is active in developing such novel hybrid AI methods and systems and also in applying them in Bosch factories.
The purpose of this PhD research project is to develop novel techniques and systems for Dataset Search over collections of Semantic Models including ontologies and Knowledge Graphs. This in particular requires to develop methods for computing Knowledge Graphs summaries that enable a better end-user comprehension of these semantic artifacts. That is, such summaries should take into account user’s preferences, representative components of the artifacts, as well as their frequent patterns and other important aspects. Search and summarization of ontologies and Knowledge Graphs in the context of Industry 4.0 allow for research topics that range from foundational to applied and give a great opportunity to do top-tier research and publish at top-tier venues as well as to test and evaluate novel techniques and methods in real industrial scenarios of Bosch.
PhD candidates will enjoy top quality inspiring research in an enthusiastic international environment of researchers, other PhD candidates, and industrial professionals from Bosch and its partners, in particular from the SIRIUS research centre at the University of Oslo.
- Education: excellent master degree in computer science (or related field)
- Personality: team player, self-motivated, inter-cultural, cross-domain proficiency, can-do attitute, good communication and presentation skills
- Working Practice: independently and within a team environment
- Experience and Knowledge:
- profound experience in Knowledge Representation and Reasoning, in particular, Description Logics and ontology reasoning
- Experience with knowledge engineering and data integration
- Experience with machine learning and respective state-of-the-art toolkits
- Proven programming skills, e.g., Python/Java/C++
- Experience in writing scientific publications is a plus
- Languages: strong English skills and academic writing skills
Apply now in just 3 minutes!
- You will be affiliated with the Bosch Center for Artificial Intelligence (https://www.bosch-ai.com)
- You will be affiliated with a top European university to obtain a PhD degree
- The final PhD topic and university advisor are subject to further discussion
- Duration: 3 years
- Please submit all relevant documents: CV, transcripts, statement of interest, motivation letter, reference letters (optional).
You want to work remotly or part-time – we offer great opportunities for mobile working as well as different part-time models. Feel free to contact us
Need support during your application?
Kevin Heiner (Human Resources)
+49 711 811 12223
Need further information about the job?
Evgeny Kharlamov (Functional Department)
+49 711 811 53155